Final Compatibility check!

Actually I was not referring to anything you said. Or anything that had been previously posted on this thread. In Fact, I agree with everything you’ve said in this thread. I just thought I would throw that in just in case someone later came around saying that the batteries where a bad choice because they’re overkill. Because I have found through testing that having a battery pack capable of 10X the current needed is a really good thing. Voltage sag is greatly reduced which equals better performance and better range. However, there are some who believe that a 60a battery pack is plenty for an E-skate and sure it can be in certain situations. I once had such a 10s battery on my build and it worked fine on flat ground but as soon as I started tackling hills, my range was cut more than in half because of excessive voltage sag.

3 Likes

I’ll take note! Thanks!!

You’ll need 8 of those. Two 8S packs wired in parallel would give you 8S2P.

the packs are 2s each, so just 4 of them to form 8s and another 2 in parallel to from 2p no?

You’d need to make 2 separate 8S packs and then wire those two packs in parallel.

Right I see, totally forgot about that. Don’t think I have enough real estate on my board though. Any alternatives?

wait actually, I don’t see how I cant wire just 2 separate packs in parallel?

@NickTheDude Is absolutely correct and for the life of me I don’t know why none of the rest of us caught that! In order to to have 8s 2p you need 16 cells or eight 2s packs. You might consider a 10s 1p using 5 packs which is smaller and lighter and a better match for a 192kv motor. You will have a little more top speed and still get 10+ miles of range. Use a good 10s BMS and a brick charger. (This is the setup I use) Or 8s 1p with your balance charger if you don’t mind a little less top speed and range. I’m guessing around 20+ mph and 8+ mile range.

I am actually seriously considering getting enertion’s space cell pro 3. As all these parts (batteries and chargers) quite a sum just to bring them into singapore. What do you think of the space cell pro 3/4?

It is my opinion that a battery pack with 60a capability is fine for flat land riding but if you have lots of hills to ride then you need more power which means higher current capability. This is my situation and why I built a 300a battery pack. Because when I tried to use a 60a pack, I suffered extreme voltage sag which greatly reduced range. But not on flat ground, riding at moderate speed.

Yeah I was reading through this and I’m like “uuuhhh guys he’s got 12 cells somehow arranged 8s2p” haha whew glad you guys saw it. The 2P doesn’t refer to having 2 extra batteries in parallel. It refers to having a second 8s battery in parallel ( so think 8s x 2). If you only put the 2 batteries in parallel you’d be trying to feed you VESC with one 8s pack and one 4s pack. idk exactly what will happen there but it will never be good for the poor 4s pack trying to support such a high load. Just grab 2 more packs and you’ll have a wicked powerful 8s2p that can push like 250a if you need it to.

Wait, I think I am missing something. Do you really need both a bms AND a balance charger? I figured one would be enough. Is the bms for discharge?

Do I not need a BMS and a Balance Charger for the batteries? Hell, is a BMS even neccessary at all??

The purpose of a balance charger is to charge each cell equally to balance voltage. The point of a BMS is to disperse the incoming power equally among the cells. However, the BMS can also limit discharge, but the VESC shouldn’t cause a problem for discharge if set up right.

The good thing about a BMS though is you can solder it inside the board and just charge the board with a laptop charge with the right amps and volts. Bad thing about BMS is you can’t really check on it easily to see if it is still working well and doing its job.

Good thing about balance charge is it is very reliable to get you a good charge. Some also have different settings for different types of charges, such as to put it in storage it can somewhat drain the battery. The bad thing about the balance charger is the user interface and process. You have to set your battery preferences, plug the positive, negative, and balance lead in, and select your charge every time. So if you plan on loaning it to a friend, you will have to give them a tutorial on that.

I calculated the price overall, and it is similarly priced to the space cell pro 4, should I just get that instead?

I had the same idea. I got the sc3 because it was about the same price otherwise but it had a warenty from one company instead of a few from multiple.

Is it reliable?

I actually just finished it the other day, and due to rain I haven’t tested it yet. I will hopefully test it later today. But from what I have heard from other people, I think it is pretty reliable.

Just a question to put out there, what’s the minimal voltage (literally the lowest possible) to run an e-board?