Final parts check before order- 1st build, another vanguard

I didn’t purchase the set with idlers. May have been a mistake in hindsight.

That’s really why I wanted a cheaper option so I could experiment a bit. I’ve got 85 cags and currently running 90 wheels. May even try some TRAMPA 125s one day.

But anyways, I’m gonna pick up a few pulley combinations to test with

I don’t run idlers on either of my builds, they’re fine on 15/36 :slight_smile: belt tension is fairly loose too. I bet you’ll be fine. Looks like your build is turning out great :smiley:

I also hear good things about the torqueboards 110, nice and fat. Plenty of urethane. Though I think my sweet spot is 100mm, 107 is a bit too big and clunky

1 Like

Yea I’d expect the weigh and rolling momentum of 110s to really start eating at braking performance.

3D printer is running now prototyping some enclosures and components. I’ll fit everything with the PLA+ I have and reprint in something like PC or a CF infused PETG. I have some ABS around I could use for the parts seeing abuse, but looks like everything in the drivetrain will stay metal

You can go for a higher gearing with bigger wheels, that way your torque/braking will stay the same.

And yes :smiley: better off leaving everything on the drivetrain metal. What exactly are you planning to use printed?

Was planning to print the wheel pulleys but no reason to unless I’m experimenting with gearing. Those pulleys are affordable enough to stay aluminum

I’ll be printing the enclosures for sure and some small mount items for lights and such.

@Waiboard has me eyeballing the fusion board right now which has a unique enclosure look with the support ribs. Printing the Vesc enclosure now and will print an alternative from thingiverse and decide which way I’m going. Files will need modified because it’s designed for a 10S2P. image

Biggest item still ahead is building the pack— well, finishing a spot welder to build a pack, then I have a 40 cell pack to build :rofl:

1 Like

Oh yeah I saw that, nicely built board. There’s some files on thingiverse for vanguard decks if that’s what you’re doing. If you’re going for the battleaxe sector 9 (I think that’s what it is?) i remember seeing a psycho enclosure that looked pretty good. Also great options for kydex/abs/fiberglass enclosures that might be a bit more sturdy.

Good luck with the pack, check out the battery builders threads here and on the .news forum. No more fires pls :sweat_smile:

Been through the check my battery thread thoroughly! Looking forward to it. My OCD can run wild with getting the wiring and layout perfect.

The sector nine is going on the ownboard hub deck I’ve been riding. The TB motors are going on the vanguard deck. I have several vanguard enclosures saved on thingiverse, will print one of them too and decide which I like better on the board asthetically

Hitting purchase on the motors. Getting excited! Gonna wait until the weekend for the VESCs in case this flipsky sale happens. Leaning towards their remote as well

1 Like

Ah gotcha! Just picked up some eboosted vanguard enclosures myself for my deck :stuck_out_tongue: love the look of them.

Don’t forget the sensor adaptors for the tb motors if you want to run sensors. Iirc they don’t plug straight into the esc.

Waiting for the sale myself too haha! I had a few mishaps with the vx1 remote but nothing major, mostly user error :stuck_out_tongue:. No disconnects during ride, however me and another user have experience cutouts after stopping.

• (I.e brake and slow down into interception, stop, accelerate to go and realize remote has been disconnected. Requires remote reboot and pairs again).

Battery also could be better. Fully recommend still, no disconnections & mid ride & great overall.

Good to know, been reading up on several remotes.

The eboosted enclosures look great! I just finished building a custom high end 3D printer from scratch, figured I might as well give it a project and maybe some new materials to challenge it. I have several variations of JST connectors from assembling that but somehow I feel like I still won’t have the right ones for the VESC haha but yes, planning to use sensors and try FOC

Yeah, grab the adaptors from torqueboards while you’re at it then. They’re only a few bucks. I think the vesc is a jst6pin if you have that.

I don’t know jack about 3d printing haha. Hopefully it turns out well :smiley:

Yea, JST connectors come in all sorts of pitches. 3D printing uses a ton of the 3.9, 2.54mm and 2mm pitch. Think I might’ve already read they’re a 6 pin 1mm pitch connector on the VESC :roll_eyes:

While I’m thinking about it, any reason to avoid the TB motors as they’re not sealed? Philly is full of tiny pebbles, road salt etc

Would I be better with the flipsky for that feature alone?

From what I hear torqueboards motors are solid and a lot torquier. Solid guy behind it all too. Flipsky motors are a bit weaker and more mundane. I think you’ll be fine with the torqueboards one

1 Like

Thanks. Ordered the 6355 190kv from toque boards and some 14T pulleys.

@dickyho has some 15T motor pulleys and 36T wheel pulleys and belts headed my way.

Just VESCs and the BMS left now :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Flipsky sale is on! Just picked up two 4.20 VESCs and the VX1 remote. Just need to order the BMS and I can start building :smiley:

Going back to the BMS, seems to be the final missing piece…

For a 10S3P or 4P setup, would something like the Bestech 80 amp work well? BKB - Besttech 80amp

Second problem, anyone have a US supplier of them thats in stock?

Thanks again for all the help guys

Still hunting for a discharge capable BMS with switch that’s available in the US. And still deciding on a spot welder.

Some parts are showing up though! Both VESCs, motors and remotes showed up. Really surprised how small the 4.2 minis are image

Thanks again for the help. I’ll create a build log once I get my last few pieces. Currently rebuilding my ownboard with a new deck that’s getting a few layers of fiberglass tonight

Hi all,

I’m short two major pieces to this build. I’m having a little trouble figuring out the best way to handle the BMS. It’s been recommended to avoid anti spark switches and either wire in a BMS for charge only and bypass the discharge, use a loop key for on off. Or to purchase a BMS with e switch. For BMS with e switch, the only option I’m seeing is the bestech 60-80 amp (to handle a max of 4p 30q discharge) and the only place to get them is direct from bestech overseas, with a minimum order of 2 pieces.

Alternatively, the loop key situation opens the door to BMS modules that cost $15 and are available on amazon

Lastly, need to pull the trigger on a spot welder. The commercialy available sunkos seem like a bad idea. The boss spot welders look decent but it seems like the Kweld is really the best for 0.15-0.2. Any recommendations here. Kweld is definitely the most expensive- maybe I’ll start a rental program for it here

Thanks in advance.