Hey guys! My name is Emiel Huyghe and I’m a 19 year old engineering student from Belgium. Some time ago I got interested in electric skateboards and after a friend of mine got an Evolve Bamboo, I decided to build an e-board myself. I’ve put together a (more or less complete - I guess ) list of parts and where to buy them. Before I start buying everything though, I’d like to share these with you guys to hear your toughts!
The goal is to build a good, reliable e-board (lookalike of the boosted board, because I love the aesthetics), single drive with li-ion battery for safety/ease, relative high speed (35 kph or 22 mph) and a with decent range (around 30 km or 19 miles). I weigh around 75kg or 165 lbs. I do want to note that I’d like to build this board in the upcoming weeks, since school starts again the 26th of september and I’d like to use it as a mode of transportation at uni.
First of all, the board itself: I’m going the full DIY-route, so I’ve already got wood sheets and glue. For the other parts of the board, this is what I had in mind:
- Caliber Fifty 10" trucks (Blackout) from Sickboards.nl - €54
- Orangatang Kegel 80mm 80a Orange from Sickboards.nl - €69
- Misc. (Griptape, riser pads, hardware) - €20
Then for the motor mount on these Caliber trucks:
For the electronics and the motor, I’m having some doubts regarding prices, small differences in specs and/or delivering times (when not from EU).
- Turingy Aerodrive SK3 6374 192kv (2.75KW) from HobbyKing (EU Warehouse) - €78 but currently in backorder
- eSk8.de Motor 6374 170kv (3.0KW) Sensored from eSk8.de - €109 (I do like the fact that this one is sensored for a smoother start in Hybrid mode on the VESC, but it’s a bit pricier)
- Any suggestions?
Transmitter and receiver:
- Winning 2.4GHz Nano Remote - €33 before shipping (so probably +€10). I already ordered this one in a group buy, thanks to @ajaynagra.
ESC: Definitely going for the VESC here, but not sure where to get it:
- VESC - made in Germany by eSk8.de - €169 (pricy, but closeby for possible malfunctions)
- VESC by Faraday Motion - €135 (new Danish company, anyone with experience from this seller?)
- VESC by Enertion - €133 (in total after shipping, taxes and import duties). Best price but I do worry about how long it would take to get to Belgium (not available yet from the new Belgian distributor).
Battery: Still considering multiple options, but expecting a cost around €350
- I’m trying to contact a local battery supplier to build me a custom pack, but I still have to get word back from them.
- Space Cell, since Enertion has a Belgian distributor now (so no more import duties). I do have to inform about the current availability of these batteries in Belgium, which I will do tomorrow (Monday 5th of september). Another thing is that the description says that the Space Cell is meant for motors of 2400W or less. Is this a problem with the current options of motors (higher wattage) or does this just mean that I won’t be able to use the full potential of those motors?
- eSk8.de Li-Ion Akku LG HE2: 10s3P 37 Volt (42V) 7.500mAh by eSk8.de. Since this is only the battery, I would still need an antispark switch, a battery level display, charger etc.
- Building a battery myself, but I’m afraid this will take lots of time and I don’t know if I’m up for that…
Miscellaneous electronics: Depending on choices of other components, maybe another €30 or so.
- Connectors (XT60’s, bullet connectors, etc.)
Okay, that’s all that I have at the moment. Are there things I forgot? Are there options I haven’t considered? Please give my all your toughts on my newborn project and I’m looking forward to keeping you posted on this (potentially) awesome build! Thanks in advance!