First Build - What Would You Do Differently?

Ahh, nice. That ain’t to bad at all! I’ve just heard some horror stories about 5-10 hour charging times. I don’t want to make the same mistake. Batteries and chargers are so confusing to me.

I can get a 90% charge in an hour, it usually takes a while for all of the cells to balance out exactly.

1 Like

BUY A VESC…you will never regret it

2 Likes

Does it help charging? Or are you saying you would do that differently?

Ultimate first build would be: 10s4p Li-ion w/bms 2.4ghz (NOT QUANUM) trigger controller VESC Dual SK3’s 75a Flywheels

1 Like

So you only get 5000 mAh capacity, is that good enough?

1 Like

I get a 15 mile rage, but I dont ride the throttle real hard either.

1 Like

may I ask your configuration (motor,body weight… no offense) I weight 170 +~ 15 pound backpack and I’ll be using mine for commuting in between university buildings and to the parking lot, [which is a sh1t to walk to everyday (up 40-60 flights of stairs.)]

1 Like

Nice! :grin: It’s interesting to see the different set ups that people want. And how each set up is pretty unique. Have you built more than one board?

Thanks brotha! I’ve actually heard that a lot! So, I’m not sacrificing there. However, I’ve seen some successful set ups with car ESC’s. Anyhow, I’ve seen VESC that have a wide range in price from $100 to $160. Do you know of any major differences. Anyhow, would you mind sharing which one you got?

I weight around 200lbs, I’m using a single 190kv 6054, Castle MM2 ESC, blank KillShot clone deck, modded GT2B remote.

I think the reason I get such good range is that while my board will do 15mph I usually average around 6-7mph. I only ride the throttle hard on long flats, which are rare where I ride.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve noticed with some chargers it’s that last 5% - 10% that can take forever. Especially with the balancing part.

@nmagz3 true dat

1 Like

No im just saying that if i had to do another build id defiently choose a vesc

2 Likes

I wouldn’t have gone with lipos. Unless I used bms. Charging becomes a chore after awhile. and the cost is not that much different.

1 Like

I’ve built multiple boards, but all of my personal builds have been 6s since I’m pretty light (145 lbs) and wanted small batteries for air travel. I have helped many friends with boards, and I can tell you every time those who are willing to put in the money and want the speed that a 10s dual VESC setup offers are happier in the long run.

1 Like

I wouldn’t of tried to go as cheap as possible, things like the vesc, and good batteries are worth the money in the longrun

1 Like

Thanks brotha! That’s actually some awesome perspective! I’m about 160 lbs and I know I can probably get away with a 6s but would feel better leaving some room with a 10s. Thanks for sharing! What have you been using for charging? And, has it been adequate for you?

I’ve bought about that as I’ve actually passed this topic several times. Thanks for sharing.

yeah, but when i started my first build, there wasn’t so many options. now, there’s so many options. from batteries to motors to enclosures. wish it was like this last year.

1 Like