[First] Green thing | Earthwing 41" Supermodel | 97 Flywheels 75a | Need help on electronics

Lesson learned - before buying shady ebay mechanical kits, check if they will fit the truck and in general consider their lack of quality, here’s how it went for me: Received motor mount:

Notice how the hole for a truck is round and not adjustable. And now take a look at my truck, notice the problem? :expressionless: (The mount was specifically said to be designed for 63 motors)

I had 2 choices pretty much - either get other mount or… commit a sin…

Yeah…

But that’s not where the problems stop.Tried checking how all the ‘transmission’ will fit together:

I stretched included belt as much as I could here and it still was quite far away from the holes to mount the motor on…

So I will have to go with even hackier way and make new holes to mount the motor. And I don’t like the fact that there’s only 2 holes for mounting the motor, seems like not enough to confidently hold the motor.

Well on other hand I saved quite a bit of money (35$ for full mechanical kit with a belt)

1 Like

Or you could get a longer belt…

Doesn’t change the part about not being comfortable mounting 1.4kg motor with 2 screws that are barely 3mm wide.

But the point is that this is a mechanical kit, not separate parts bought from different vendors, so it should fit, but I guess these chinese ebay sellers don’t do any QA at all.

I think the one at fault here is you. I’ve seen that kit on AliExpress and ebay a couple of times. There were dimensions and different perspectives on the mount on each listing… If you have a caliber truck get a mount for a caliber truck. Anyone could’ve seen that it wouldn’t fit without even measuring… As well as the design issues you mentioned.

Point is: don’t go cheap on parts and blame the seller afterwards…

EDIT to not make this a rant: If you’ve settled for that mount. Get some longer grub screws and drill into the truck and tap them. I have a colleague which is using that same mount and he never got them to sit tight and stable without doing that.

I’m not blaming seller on misfit for my truck part, in my first sentence I say that I learned a lesson to not order stuff without checking by which I mean it’s my mistake. I’m blaming seller on belt having wrong length. But yeah, I will make this work. What I’m planning to do is to make 4 new holes on motor mount, use longer screws and probably nuts inside the motor so that vibration wouldn’t shake screws out after a while.

These mounts are notorious for working their way loose from the truck. Once you find the perfect alignment after a few test rides you need to epoxy around where it attaches to the truck. This prevents the torque of the motor wiggling the mount back and forth ever so slightly till it comes loose. After you do this it can be a decent mount. They are made from a fairly hard stainless so drilling them might not be easy.

Preferably use the grey colored type for metal like JB weld or similar.

Thanks! I noticed the part about drilling being hard, battery powered drill was miserable at it, thankfully friend has drill press at work and it managed to do it. And your post kind of confirmed my suspicion that couple of screws screwed into the truck won’t be enough to hold mount in place long term.

Another minor problem

Left is female connector I had and intended to use as charging jack, right is male connector from my new 42V power brick. While they look similar, the hole inside male one is slightly too small to fit.

So I guess I will solder xt90 on it instead and use that for charging. (I’m just assuming charger has only positive and negative wires, and nothing additional)

Still waiting for battery, bms, VESC :slight_smile:

1 Like