First Look at TorqueBoards Direct Drive Motor

Got the same issue (TB DD 90 KV), brakes are strong going over 10km/h, but with lower speed, they are not so much present, I usually stop completely by foot braking… I like it to be honest, since my raptor locked its hubs while braking, flipped me over and broke my wrist in 3 places.

Haven’t tried yet the Current Smart Reverse, but I believe it should help with low speed braking.

1 Like

@ThomasL Try Current Smart Reverse. You can lower the reverse ERPM that way it’s not too fast. Actually, works pretty decent. I’ve yet to try it on 6.3" AT Tires though which would be great if it does work.

1 Like

@torqueboards I believe we would like to see a tutorial video on that :slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s your problem. direct drives and belt drives are different in how they behave in braking. Do what they suggested and you should be fine :slight_smile:

Wow I’m shocked. I also noticed my direct drives didn’t have amazing brakes. It would scare me if I lived in San Francisco.

Smart Current Reverse will fix the lack of brakes.

1 Like

how do i set that up ? im running my motors in can bus

I want to understand this a bit better. Since direct drive does not have the torque advantage at lower speeds that belts offer (since there is no gear reduction), the braking curve is different. While brakes will work just fine at higher speeds, once speeds get below a certain threshold the motor isn’t spinning fast enough to provide sufficient stopping power with regenerative breaking. Using the Smart Current Reverse would essentially apply current in reverse which would add to the stopping power of the board below this threshold. Adding AT wheels to the mix would then compound this state and raise the speed threshold at which the Smart Current Reverse would need to be applied. I would imagine the challenge here would be in making the braking curve feel continuous as it transitions from regenerative to current reverse. Does this correctly describe the DD + Smart Current Reverse approach?

The Torque motor comes with 5.5 mm (I assume?) bullet connectors (blue arrow in picture below), the Trampa VESC 6 Plus, however, comes with 4 mm female connectors (magenta arrow in picture below). Thus, can I just cut off the motor wire or remove the 5.5 mm bullet connectors and solder 4 mm connectors for each 5.5 mm connector and this should be good?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Id rather change the esc adapters to 5.5

The wire lenght of esc is longer and does not have a sleeve on it so u dont have to adjust that lenght of the sleeve either

in my build the wires from direct drives from torqueboard should not be any shorter in my opinion

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your suggestion - good point. I will check my build and see whatever fits better; you are right, these motor wires are quite short.

Is there perhaps a 5.5 mm female to 4.0 mm male bullet connector available that I could use? Never soldered anything before, although I hope soldering these connectors should not be too difficult?

Do you think this adapter here could also do the trick > https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01G76WKAS/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item [ RC Connector 4.0mm Male Bullet to 5.5mm Female Gold Bullet Adapter]

1 Like

Yes you could

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your confirmation.

when will the tutorial video come out for current smart reverse?

2 Likes

Hey guys pretty new to esk8ing. I built a board with the torqueboard 90 kv DD motors using the vesc6.6 and the 12s4p battery from mboards. (i know not the best place to get stuff) Anyhow after setting everything up I had the max motor current set to 75A which i figured is safe given the 80A limit for the motors. Everything seemed fine when i was going up a pretty decent sized hill and about 3/4 of the way up i lost all power and went flying. Not sure if this is due to low voltage cutoff of the battery or the BMS on the battery pack. Any suggestion values to set on the vesc would be great. thanks in advance.

2 Likes

If your bms is wired for charge/discharge then that might be your issue, you will need to use a new bms with more rated current or change the wiring of the BMS to be used only for discharge

1 Like

discharge only? or charge only?

The low voltage cut off is pretty subtle in my experience, not gunna launch u. U could see if that’s what happened checkingvthe voltage of the battery It’s two tiered and u don’t lose all power at first tier

1 Like

Your battery would be 60 amps

1 Like