First Time Build parts (BATTERY/CHARGER SUGGESTIONS)

@abctheing and @florensvb I did not link to the DIY vesc, I linked to Ollin Boards vesc. They look really similar, haha.

2 Likes

I would say atleast a 10s3p maybe 5000mah Iā€™m not sure there is a formula to figure it out Iā€™ll have to find it

@briman05 Ok, thanks! :slight_smile:

I suggest you go with 18650 batteries. Lipo is a pain in the ass to charge, I own SIX so I know. Buy Battery Management System for your battery with an on/off switch so you donā€™t have to plug and unplug. You need to cut down your cost because Iā€™ll tell you this. Your budget right now. Be prepare to spend TWICE the amount. Turnigyā€™s motor mount for example. Wheels can be fly wheels instead. Remote control can be cheaper too. Need threadlock for to prevent your screw front vibration.

They look similiar, so they probably work similar.

Iā€™m a fan of LiPos but I use them for my quads too so the charging regimen is something Iā€™m used to 5S 5Ah 2 in series gives you 10S 5Ah or 185Wh (5Ah * 37V [nominal voltage] = 185Wh). The Wh tells you total energy in the battery and tells you roughly the distance you can expect to get, on a given setup if you double the Wh you double the distance, as a rough estimate 10Wh = 1km = .6miles (you will get more or less depending on exact efficiency of everything).

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/no-words-just-pictures-delete-words-use-pm/2992/2753

^^ can see my enclosure here made so I can pull the 5S batteries out and charge them but anyhow can get an idea of how big that brick of lipos is the enclosure doesnā€™t have much wiggle room inside and is only a few mm thick.

@gee I donā€™t want to solder my own battery pack and the prebuilt 18650 packs are really expensive. What do you mean I will spend twice the amount? The only part I feel I might need to spend more on right now is my motor (like you mentioned).

That is just an assumption, do you have any sources to back that up?

Thanks, Iā€™ll get two 5000 mah batteries in series for 10s to get about 16 km range.

use a 63mm motor 200kv or less!! 6355 is plenty of power at your weight.

2 Likes

Ollin is more similar to the DIY esc than focbox, do i have to explain more?

@abctheing Do you mean they look similar in terms of appearance?

I think he meant component wise. go with focbox, and sk2 6374 motor 190kv. I have it and love it.

Well you can stick with lipo but you gotta get BMS and an on/off switch. TRUST ME. Try to cut the cost of your wheels, deck and bushings.

Like @gee said you can cut cost in other places. Loaded boards are very nice but they are a hell of a lot more then other companies like Jet, Earthwing , Original or even Landyacht. Sector9 has some nice boards they are super mass produced but alot of people start skating on them because they are cheaper. Hell there are some custom board companies that dont even charge that much for the deck alone. I do my own boards and have start a small side business for custom boards not plugging my own brand but if you look around on muirskate you can find some nice decks for alot less.

Alright, thanks. :slight_smile:

Yeah a bms and off switch make your life a lot easier. Also donā€™t go too cheap on the wheels and trucks youll probably regret it later. Some cheap trucks are too loose and you will wobble at high speeds and cheap wheels wear and will make your ride insanely bumpy.

Have you considered chain drive?

No, any benefits?

No need to replace it