First Time Building, Would Love Any Help

Hey everyone,

This is my first time building an electric board and I’m choosing and finding parts. So far I’ve chosen everything however I’m not 100% if its an optimal build or if there are any bottle necks.

My parts:

Motor: diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/motor-6374-190kv-3150w/ Pulley Kit: diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/36t-abec-drive-pulley-belt-combo-kit/?attribute_motor-pulley=16T+Motor+Pulley&attribute_belt-size=255mm+12mm+Wide VESC: diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/vesc-the-best-electric-skateboard-esc/ Remote Control/Reciever: diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/torqueboards-2-4ghz-nano-remote-controller/ Batteries x2 in series: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-5000mah-5s-20c-lipo-pack.html **Battery Charger:**https://hobbyking.com/en_us/imax-b6-50w-5a-charger-discharger-1-6-cells-genuine.html

Some concerns I have:

1. Is the VESC good enough? Should I invest more money in the VESC if this VESC isn’t good enough?
  2. Will the battery charger be able to charge the 2x 5S batteries tomorrow, or will it only be able to charge them one at a time? It says its 1-6 cells so I am confused.
  3. Are there better motors out there for this type of money? Do I even need that much power in a motor? I don’t live in a place with too many steep hills.
  4. I’m trying to order as much as possible from one place because shipping is very expensive and really adds to the cost.

I think this over all adds up to about 450 USD. Is there anyway I can optimize this build with a budget similiar to this?

I really do appreciate any help ill get! Thanks guys!

1 Like

its fine you’ll need a parallel adapter to charge both batteries at once. if you haven’t used lipo before I would get a premade battery with a bms. costs more. but saves time in building and so much easier to charge.

save a bit of $$: get the pulleys from @Titoxd10001 get a mount form the groupbuy. (it may take longer to ship) since you don’t have many hills a 6355 would be enough and makes for a lighter board.

1 Like

The Nano remote is quite unreliable. There are several posts on the forum about it.

1 Like

Is it easy to make your own battery with a bms? I think it would be interesting to try and I do agree that it being much easier to charge will be great.

I had a look at the pulleys that @Titoxd10001 makes and it looks like the wheel pulley is only for abec 11 flywheels and MBS all terrain 100mm wheels. I’m also pretty happy with the 16/36T ratio and a smaller ratio would give me a lower top speed(i think?). I already have a set of wheels, but i may upgrade to some larger 83mm wheels in the future. Are those specific abec 11 wheels required or can I use any wheel?

I think I’ll try to manufacture the mount, I have access to a water jet and I think it would be easy to make.

I think I will get the 6355 motor, it seems to be the best for my needs.

Thanks for the advice @saul!

Alright, I’ll try to research more for the remote, do you have any advice on where I should buy a remote from?

The mini remote is around 15-20 dollars on ebay

1 Like

I agree with @rwxr The Nano is a No-go The mini RC remote is very dependable and offers great control of throttle and brakes.

The batteries you listed would work but you would be much better off if you could get something with a higher discharge rate. At least 25C or 30C but preferably 40c-60c Other wise you will learn about a little demon called voltage sag. And it will rob you of power and range.

@Namasaki Alright, I will maybe reconsider my choice of batteries then. Id like to stay with 10S, but hobbyking doesn’t have too much variety that’s in the US.(Trying to ship from there to Canada). Do you have any alternative websites to get batteries from? I’ll be fine with 3x 3S batteries I think.

Also, is this the mini RC Remote you are talking about?

Thats the nano remote

Here is the mini RC remote: diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/torqueboards-2-4ghz-mini-remote-controller/

Wow, my bad I didn’t realize it was that easy to find. I think Ill try amazon for the batteries by the way. Thanks for the help!

amazon sells 2 brands of batteries that are top grade.

1. Venom
  2. Gens Ace

That remote runs on 2 AA batteries. I put 2 AA lithiums in mine and it latest nearly 1 year and I replaced them before they went dead. Imagine a remote that you never have to charge!

That sounds great! Man these batteries are pretty pricey on amazon, they are getting to be around 80-100 dollars for the higher discharge rate ones. How are Traxxas batteries?

Ya, they are pricey on Amazon. Hobby king is prob your best bet.

Just a bit of forsight on where I went wrong. If you think you will want a better battery pack such as liion save the money and do it the first time. If you buy one afterwards you have wasted money on batteries, an enclosure, and time putting it together.

Okay, that is something to think about. How does charging work when you buy a prebuilt battery pack? Does it come with a charger?

Lion packs come with a built in BMS which allows balance charging with a laptop style charging cord.

That’s very convenient. So my cost to get 2x 5S 30C(I think that is considered 10S1P) with a battery charger is 200 CAD(146 USD). The battery back that i am looking at on diy is 547 CAD(400 USD) but it is 10S4P, so essentially 4x the battery life? Its definitely going to be tough to buy it, so do you think it is definitely worth it?

Some say yes, some say no. If you want longer range and much more simple charging I’d go for it.

Definitely going to think about it, thanks for the help!

Of course! I wish someone would have told me lol howeverbif you end up going lipo route let me know. I have an enclosure and like new lipo batteries for sale.