Fish out of the water | First e board prep, advice required

Out of interest, what was it you replaced almost immediately?

I personally have about a year and a half history using Torqueboards and have always had great customer service. My torque esc’s run great and my board runs like a bat out of Hell. Dexter will definitely give you great customer service. Keep in mind that you can always change parts and upgrade things later if you decide you do want a focbox, or by that time a unity because they’re about to stop producing the focbox. The great thing about DIY is you can grow with it as you’re ready to change.

3 Likes

I’d didn’t get one of these kits, mine was from a builder here.

Bottom line is that you’ll be paying a bit extra for parts someone else picks for you, according to what they have in stock. This is a fast moving hobby (@b264) and development is always running.

It definitely wouldn’t be a waste of your time to get stuck in here and read about each part to get a picture of what to get for yourself. You’ll understand it better when repairs or replacements are needed.

Also don’t worry about asking questions, most people here are open and willing to share knowledge when the question is thought out and direct. If it’s a bit wide spectrum you might get shot down, there’s a line between “what should I buy” and “which one of these will best suit me”

3 Likes

For some of us, this is as much a hobby as “minivan driving” is a hobby for a soccer mom.

These are motor vehicles that we use to go to work, grocery shop, and life activities.

Calling it a hobby is neither helping you nor anyone else who has an esk8, even if it is a hobby for you.

5 Likes

guys im going to do my first esk8 build are my parts okay? im planning it on using as my transportation to school since my house is far from the city. the parts are: racerstar 5065 200kv 2x turnigy 5000mAh 6s 40c 48t wheel and 16t for motor and im going to use a 80mm wheel for longboard. any recommendations? i kinda want it fast and can ride uphill

You might have issues fitting a pulley that large on a wheel that small. Not sure if perhaps you meant a 38t wheel pulley?

i was going to buy this kit from lazada i live in philippines btw https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/diy-electric-skateboard-kit-parts-pulleys-and-motor-mount-for-80mm-wheels-intl-i156405551-s188096493.html?spm=a2o4l.searchlist.list.14.4be8401dCk12s5&search=1

1 Like

fast and uphill with one 5065 motor sounds a bit not fit together. the motor mounts in the kit you want to buy don´t look like they will sit strong on the hanger. if they become lose very often, you ll not have a fun with them. I would better go with a motor mount from somebody here and change to 63xx motor size. which esc you want to use for your board? @Wraith is from PH too, maybe he can give you some tips where best to get parts etc.

1 Like

Hey @fafi.azucar! Nice to finally see someone from the ph! I’m out riding now but I’ll help you out as much as I can!

1 Like

Don’t buy a belt unless it’s specified it’s a HTD-5M. That one looks like a HTD-3M and it will suck.

1 Like

Don’t get a motor mount that has a round hole (where the truck hanger goes through it) unless you plan on welding it on.

No matter how tight you secure it, it will immediately come loose, every single time.

Sorry for the late reply. Just wanna let you know if you plan on getting custom parts like mounts and pulleys as others may have already mentioned, don’t get them from Lazada.

I can recommend you a local store where you can get the standard skate parts like grip,deck trucks etc but I would recommend spending extra on the batteries, and vescs that you can find here. Most stuff on Lazada is overpriced anyway from what I’ve seen so far

Im also in a similar predicament when it comes to battery shipping but once I am able to finally order a custom built pack, I’ll let you know. Im putting a no-solder pack for my build using @Winfly packs and my cells from ru.nkon are already in the PH and just going through customs clearance AFAIK.

I went this route because I wasn’t comfortable building a pack for my first board with no background and equipment to do so. Also If anything happens to the pack I’d be able to take it apart without needing to sit on a pile of bad cells until I can find a way to have it checked by an expert like many of these fine gentlemen on the forum.

Since you want to get riding by feb ir early as possible then you can opt to go for the flipsky vescs. Unity if youre fine with it possibly getting delayed past feb

1 Like

wow nice, thank god i found someone from the ph too😂 what kind of mounts would u recommend for me? or parts that can be bought here in ph. i was going for a dual motor setup but i have a little budget, i only get my budget from my sideline as a graphic designer(im still on grade 9 and 15 yo) and my father who is really supporting me in building this board😂 so is the 5065 200kv from lazada okay? im going with the flipsky esc since it’s quite cheap and can be ordered thru lazada an can deliver faster. for my batteries im planning on buying a turnigy 5000mAh 6s 40c from Tailshare online shop on fb, they have a good rating too and very active, very trustworthy. do u know any longboard shops in manila? do u have any recommendations to make my first build good?

1 Like

Yeah checkout free ride skate shop on fb. Theyre the biggest shop I’ve found so far and do plan to get most of my hardware there locally. You can check out the esk8 calculators here as a guide. What kind of top speed are you going for? I’d generally go for a 170kv dual motors of 6355 or larger due to the climate. I’d also check out @JLabs for pulley options as he has a modular set that keeps your options open later on!

As for BMS feel free to find any decent charge only bms on lazada(never checked yet myself)

If you fond yourself ordering a couple of parts from the US you can save on shipping costs by using shippingcart and bundle it all together in one shipment. I’ve done that with a few of my parts and its worked well and gets through customs without a fuss so far

1 Like

Im not familiar with racestar motors but I’d recommend maytech. They ship direct to the ph and are easy to work with. I bought from them at pretty good prices and they have a better price as shipping is cheaper and faster

Also the quality is known to be good across the forum. You can go with their 50xx motors if you wanna keep things more compact if you want

1 Like

u have a fb acc incase i have a question regarding about the build?

1 Like

its been a while. Think the wording is now perfected. No ambiguity at all.
@alextheys Kits are a great way to get in amongst it. Good solid kits though like the @torqueboards ones. Can’t comment on the eu options but diy electric has been around for long enough to have ironed out all the issues inherent with esk8 and enough people use the gear so anything you do have trouble with can be resolved on here in minutes. Good basic assembly skills are all you need to create a machine more capable than anything pre-built. Good luck.

1 Like