Flexible 12s4p battery

Can anyone make a 12s4p flexible battery like a trampa or nyc but only US ?

I have a torque boards 12s4p battery but want a flexible design

@barajabali @psychotiller maybe any of you ready to make a flex pack?

1 Like

I wanna fit it on a db core flex longboard

Both are great battery builders. I’m sure one of them can get you what you need.

2 Likes

may be a bit early to even mention but i’ve got cells on the way and was going to offer P modules, backed with PCB, cap insulated, fish papered, clear pvc shrinked. all ready to assemble by builder.

so idea is to ship P groups ready then the builder would just solder series connections as they see fit according to their build.

i won’t have cells until well into november.

inb4 someone mentions sharp nickel on positive end, yes i know, they’ll be rounded off in future packs, thank u.

some photos to get an idea:

0913182208_HDR

0913182208a_HDR

0914182120c_HDR

0913182106a_HDR

0914182121a_HDR

0913182200a_HDR

0918182239_HDR

0914182120_HDR

1023182132a_HDR

0916181807_HDR

1023182132_HDR

1023182132b_HDR

11 Likes

@thisguyhere Noice. Was planning to get something like that for tip toeing into battery building. Ill keep an eye out for when you decide to sell a few.

1 Like

All looks great but shouldnt you solder the nickel to the pcb instead?

yes and no.

first, i’m not comfortable with how thin the copper layer is on the pcb. it should carry the current fine but the bigger issue is because it’s so thin, you can very easily pull off the nickel.

during this build, after welding nickel directly onto the pcb, i tugged on the nickel lightly and it just came right off.

so…a nickel to pcb copper weld is weak AF. a nickel to nickel weld, provided welder is set correctly, is WAY stronger.

and because these P groups are then PVC shrinked, P bus connection is secured down.

i’m going to demonstrate all of this in a future post once i’m ready to offer it up.

1 Like

I am basically going to do the same thing for my build but minus the PVC clear heatshrink. And probably solder the nickel to pcb

Looks good though

Except here it looks a bit dodgy

good eye. looks like it’s lifting off the pcb a bit. i think that was the pack where the nickel pulled off the copper. i’ve got all the S connections taped off so no danger of a short (fingers crossed).

– edit

actuall, i pvc shrinked each 6s4p rail again after series connections were made.

1 Like

Yeah I have spot welder to a PCB before, I had mixed reviews

For me it actually spot welded much easier than nickel to a cell. But yeah its not strong enough imo or it is but it burns a bit of the PCB

2 Likes

for sure.

i’ll take a video of nickel weld coming off the pcb in the future post, it’s kind of alarming.

2 Likes

IMG_20181026_180410

Thats what I get when i do it

@thisguyhere what pvc heatshrink do you buy

2 Likes

just off eBay, but like 10 meters at a time.

this is the last batch I got

2 Likes

yep exactly, and it takes no force at all to pull it off, right?

Im trying to buy a 12s4p battery pack that’s flexible and have the enclosure with a bms and charge port🤑

1 Like

https://www.unikboards.com/fr/boutique/batterie-flexi-cell-bms-ultra-slim-and-flex/

@okp Is in France, but he might be willing/able to ship it to you.

2 Likes

I’ll do a video in a bit.

1 Like

Something like this maybe? IMG_20180930_031846 IMG_20180930_031910

3 Likes

https://streamable.com/msdhl

15ms pulse on malectrics

And on 20ms blows holes in nickelIMG_20181026_222723_HHT

The strength was much worse than I remembered