Fliess | 65kmh+

Nice work! Monster of a build you have there. Quick question: what type of welder did you use there?

Thank you, @Jinra and thank you, my wife, even more :smile:

@lox897, gonna contact Benjamin first. Without him nothing would happen. Thanks!

1 Like

Many high end boards can reach that speed. Just some people like their lives more than others ;-).

1 Like

@SirDiff, c’mon there are definitely nicer builds here :blush: My accent was on durability and performance. That’s what I was really missing after buying Evolve. Maybe their carbon duals are much better than bamboo though. @whitepony’s builds have actually inspired me at the beginning. So many thanks to him! I am still not sure about hub motors. I don’t want to compromise any small fraction of performance to anything else.

@JLabs, I should have given a hint to read from the bottom :wink: Thanks!

@lrdesigns, it’s 51400rpm on 10s in FOC. Motor winding is rather a matter of patience than skills :slight_smile:

Direct drive would be more fitting than hubs, from a performance stand point and durability. Like dual carvon v2. 5

@Brad, another disadvantage of using hub motors :wink:

@Eboosted, these motors wanted exactly 8.5 turns, and only in this configuration they shown to be very efficient. It was rather experimental approach than theoretical. I still need more understanding how exactly the motor works. Moreover, the larger pulley the more reliable and less noisy system is. HTD3 pulleys are definitely not for performance. And thanks for watching :slight_smile:

love the motor winding resin method! did it reduce noise?

1 Like

Great build. :+1: Nice to watch through all the pictures. Hope you wear protection hitting that speeds. There can always be a error in the electronics and it must not be your fault to fly of the board.

@jrpwit, I didn’t calculate exactly. Can say that I have 51400rpm on 10s in FOC.

1 Like

@Okami, I definitely don’t want to encourage anybody to go with such a speed, because electronic may always fail (we are assuming that the road is perfect and there is no one potential obstacle on rider’s way). I was saying the same to myself every time I got another +5kmh. And then I got again and again some failures, like screaming motors or over current (I am of course talking only about FOC). So it became like a game against failures, because I wanted to get a board, which I can 100% trust (meaning that it cannot have any failures on 70A per motor in FOC regardless of how much I demand from it and how long). In other words, all this is to show not how fast I can ride, but what are the possibilities of the board itself. Or how cool is @Vedder’s VESC.

1 Like

Thanks, @markyoe. It’s a bit improved version of @whitepony 's one, so instead of shorting the copper bars by pressing on them (sometimes they weld to each other), there is ~500A thyristor.

@Michael319, like from me, no jokes.

@Michael319, I like the idea of direct drive very much (in contrast to hubs). But how to be with a low clearance? Gonna try the direct drive also to reveal all pros and cons for myself.

Hey @whitepony. When I was reading your builds half-a-year ago, it looked to me so far until I can get my own one. But now we can even discuss something, cool :grinning: No, it didn’t really reduce it to be even noticeable. Ok, maybe I have to test it again in BLDC to be sure, but I don’t think so.

awh, too bad! planned to do that myself in order to have an even more stealthy running board! :frowning:

Well, I have a drop down, not drop through, with no risers. If you can fit the wheel, you can fit the motor