Float charging & why you shouldn't bypass the BMS

don’t forget the heavy drinking. And the inevitable opiate addiction.

1 Like

Just be sure you can monitor your cells manually and you will be fine. If they get far out of balance you can use a connector like this and manually balance the pack through the balance connector. This is what I use to quickly balance a pack.

3 Likes

what do you use as a charger for single cells?

I guess same LiPo charger, but instead of charging whole pack you charge a single cell

I use a lab power supply when I am at the bench.

You can also use TP4056 module to charge single cell up to 1A. It has a proper LiPo charging curves as opposed to using regular bench CC/CV PSU just by itself.

I’m having the same idea but I’m planning to install an exposed connector on the enclosure itself, this way I wouldn’t have to disassemble the enclosure and BMS to connect the lab power supply.

The lipo checker should give me the readings whenever I need to performance any balance.

Wow, this is a great thread! Thanks for the info everyone and thanks for starting this conversation @chaka. I’ve recently purchased a 10S Bestech BMS with the knowledge that it will add additional protection to the cells due to low voltage monitoring. However, I never really thought of the down side of bypassing the BMS for discharging.

Awesome thread! have been searching through this forum trying to fully understand what i need and potentially don’t need for my build! If this forum didn’t exist I’d be screwed haha!