FOC for my first time.. VESC 4.12 DRV Error... FoCMe

Toyota Master race.

I just bought a 2001 toyota tacoma with 100k

Anyway I can vouch for @JohnnyMeduse he fixed both of mine in a weekend and just had to wait for snail mail.

2 Likes

But the ollin VESCs are totally capable of runing FOC, I thought you were runing DIY VESCs. Go ahead and try it

No thanks.

1 Like

Dont use that old bldc tool …

Steps to go ;

1. download new vesc tool from official website
  2. connect vesc with the new tool
  3. firmware upgrade the vesc
  4. reboot vesc connect again
  5. follow foc wizard, then input wizard
  6. sucess

no problem so far since 3 monthes i switched from bldc to foc

My hardware vesc 4.12 (germany) 6374 200 kv motor (germany)

6 Likes

FOC can overheat FETs which can in turn kill the DRV. This isn’t always the case, but it seems to be the majority of the time. The FOCBOX uses direct FETs which offer much better cooling options, like pressing them against a large heat sink.

1 Like

Just got a focbox in the mail, and im excited to use it… but a little apprehensive. It says not to exceed 30A or -15A for batt max and min… is this always the case or just for R2 use? I used 50A on my VESC I believe.

Also came to find out that switching to 5.5mm bullet connectors does void the warantee… thought I read it didn’t somewhere before but I’m glad I asked support before doing anything.

Do you know exactly why the new VESC tool is better than the BLDC tool for hw 4.12+FOC?

My configuration is VESC hw 4.12 + SW 2.18, 190kV, 6374, 10S1P LiPo and 15/72 gear ratio (mountainboard with 8" Primo tyres). I get about 20km on a charge in BLDC mode and top speed ~35kmh

Today I tried for the first time to configure FOC and after some weird start-up issues it went OK. the problema started when I tested the board while riding. If I accelerate too fast or brake too hard I get the DRV errors and the VESC resets. The DRV is not dead but I don;t want to risk it and reverted to BLDC which works as before. In between the FOC.BLDC changes I always flash a new FW to be sure I don’t mess up the configuration.

To my knowledge the FOCBOX is basically a VESC 4.12

i dont know it for sure, but its how things work generally … why would u use win xp, if u can use win 10 ? newer software / firmware always is better than the older one.

vesc 4.12 is also capable of runing foc, i did post my hardware settings, i use it 4 month now without any issuis … but this will not mean its suitable for ur setup as well …

u have to try it, nobody can say it for sure, differnent manufactors will make things complicated … but i would always try newest software / firmware / update first.

Haha…well indeed I agree with you if you know it’s better. But I also like the idea of not braking things that already work good enough… I’m going for a ride now…the sun in shining here in NL

1 Like

so today i rode in bldc mode than came home and decided to give @Tobi suggestion a go. I’ve installed the new VESC tool and plugged in my VESC. It recognized hw 4.10 (I thought I have 4.12) and it updated the fw to 3.37. Than I configured FOC with no issues. Unfortunately still get the DRV error code when I brake hard… :frowning:

I’m back to bldc and I think I’ll stick to that for a while… I could update the capacitor but I have to read trough the forum if that actually will solve the DRV and FOC. Personally I don’t really care…I thought I could make my ride a bit more quieter and get a bit more range but what I now have in bldc mode it’s not bad at all :slight_smile:

While we’re at it, I might as well ask here. I’m about to try FOC on my dual FOCBOX’es. It’s an 8s setup with 230Kv motors. I’m below the ERPM limit, so that shouldn’t be a problem. Anything particular I should take note of? My setup should be compatible, right? :slight_smile:

Hi. Can sb help me? I have a mountainboard 1:5 gearing 10s 2x 192kv motors. Will focbox be a good choise for a board like that? And using FOC mode change the risk of burnout or sth like that? Thanks for answers! :slight_smile:

If you have low to medium hills, don´t ride like a maniac and you´re under 100 kg, you should be good. Make sure to cool them, the more the better!

Foc on 10s is the sweet spot, where the chance of burning out something is the lowest. If you wanna be 100% sure to not destroy something, just go with BLDC.

1 Like