FOCBOX abs_over_current fault with massive current spike

It’s a broken connection 99% of the time it took me months to find mine as a cap leg was broken but still perfectly aligned because of the housing. Double and triple check your connections one of them is bad.

Was the board fully charged when you went down the hill?

Hmm I’ll have to check again. I looked at all the obvious connections already but maybe I missed something.

No, it shouldn’t have been. I’d already ridden it up a couple hills before I tried going down. Wouldn’t it cause a negative current spike if it were an issue with too much current being sent through braking?

Thinking more of the bms cutting out from over voltage.

Oh interesting. I’ll have to keep a look out. I took it for very ginger test ride around today, up and down the same hills and didn’t run into the same issue so I’m going to have to just keep monitoring it. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t making some super glaring mistake. Do you think there could be some issue with inductance from too much wire between the vesc and the battery? I’ve got probably about a 20 inches with the antispark switch, the battery’s own output wire, and the flat braid spanning the split enclosures.

No. thats fine.

I would also say a broken capacitor leg. If not that some other loose connection in the power system.

Did you open the vesc and check the capacitor legs?

What about the phase wire connections? Some other uses had them break under the shrink wrap, so maybe worth removing the shrink if you cant find anything else loose.

I’ve had this problem lately… More and more…

I’m thinking about looking for loose connections and resoldering if I find any, and glopping a ton of e6000 for vibration damping for good measure.

I did that to my boost converter, but not the mosfets. Guess what failed due to vibration? The one mosfet I didn’t glop e6000 on. Resoldered and glopped it up, and all is well. Maybe my vescs need the same sort of love.

Even running it in FOC?

Yeah, I’ve checked all those connections, though probably not as closely as I should. So frustrating. I’ll double check it.