FOCBOX DRV8302 Error

Replied to your comment only man :wink:

1 Like

50.4 V max voltage would effectively mean FOCBOX can’t run 12s, which is nonsense. You can’t set it so close to your battery voltage without risking frequent cutouts, which are probably most likely during braking at high speeds. I really hope that’s a misunderstanding, and I hope nobody actually uses this setting!

@CarlCollins https://enertionboards.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000605073-Erpm-limits-on-the-Focbox-

Doesn’t this show that the ERPM limit is 100,000. So if 60,000 is less than 100,000, shouldn’t I be fine?

http://www.enertionboards.com/electric-skateboard-parts/FOCBOX-programmable-brushless-motor-controller/

On this page isn’t the focbox rated for 60A?

and since my system is 10s isnt it not possible for my pack to produce more than 42v? Wouldnt that keep me under the 50.4v limit?

If anyone else can help me understand why my FOCBOX is fried let me know.

Also, if I wanted to have a go at replacing the DRV8302 chip myself if enertion doesn’t cover this under warranty, which it looks like they may not, what tools do I need for SMD? Solder paste, heat gun, soldering iron?

Thanks!

It is just a misunderstanding guys. @CarlCollins is just trying to do his job by trying to answer questions on the forum (which he isnt really required to do) cut him some slack.

3 Likes

I think we all appreciate that he is active and communicating. I didn’t mean to crap all over that. It’s still important to point out that this is a setting that might be dangerous to 12s riders.

Any safety relevant issue is worth discussing to death…

Thats why he tagged me to confirm. Which is the right thing to do

1 Like

@barajabali thanks for clarification of this issue.

and maybe know you know why i doubt this in the first time.

Wait guys can we focus on the issue at hand? I know entertion support is a fun topic, but can anyone tell me if my settings exceeded the specs of the focbox? Thanks

You’re settings look fine.

Tell us your setup. Is it a dual or single? Looks like you have a 10S battery? What type of motors and KV? What type of batteries are you using? Just reading around the forum it looks as though quite a few FOCBoxes are burning up right now. Maybe QC was rushed?

10s4p samsung 30Q, torqueboards 190kv 6355, dual

I have two builds with the same exact setup. I also have another same just with Samsung 25R’s. You’re settings are perfectly fine and even conservative. You can actually run 40A Batt Max each and be fine. I run at 30A to be safe and for longevity. Here’s my settings. Been using the same for a couple years now.

Motor Max= 70A Motor Min= -55A Batt Max= 30A Batt Min= -10A

Min ERPM= -60000.00 Max ERPM= 60000.00 <----- This is what might’ve killed it here

Battery cutoff start= 30.00V Battery cutoff end= 28.00V

I got all these settings for my setup from the man himself @Ackmaniac. Been running like a dream for a while now. Tons of power, range, ect…

1 Like

The DRV can be blown and have no visible damage. Reflashing can fix software issues. I haven’t seen a DRV error caused by a software issue before, but it’s the first step in diagnosing a problem when you don’t have test equipment on hand.

2 Likes

@SeanHacker

This is from enertions website: https://enertionboards.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000605073-Erpm-limits-on-the-Focbox-

Eric Wilson 6 months ago Updated Follow Well there’s a myth going around that it is 60K ERPM which is fine. We’ve tested it to 100k ERPM.

Wouldn’t this mean I’m within the specs outlined by enertion? Or is it less robust than advertised? So confused.

1 Like

Motor Min and Batt Min need to be negative, not positive. I’m not sure how this is even working.

1 Like

You are well within spec. But 60k is the limit the community has set. Most of us run into a plethora of issues above 60k.

Although the FOCBOX has upgraded components it is still a vesc4 at heart based upon the design of the vesc5.

Vesc6 solves most of the limitations of the vesc4 design. Vesc4’s have a mixed rate of success.

The ones I never have seen fail are @chaka 's. I’m lucky to run maytechs without issues so far.

You my friend caught me slipping on my “-”. Edited as soon as I could. Thanks dude.

1 Like

Hi,

If your board works for 100 miles that means the issue is not from the factory, 100 miles is a lot of time for something go wrong. So it’s not a manufacturing defect, you need to purchase the platinum warranty to get replacement or repair. Kind regards Eric Wilson Enertion Support

I had DRV8302 issue on my VESC 4.12 recently, it appears to have been resolved by reflashing the firmware (or updating from 3.37 to 3.38). But haven’t had time to test my board intensively, but really seems to be fixed now. Obviously, I had no permanent issues, just loss of power and an error for a second during rides.