Focbox factory mishap?

Just checked my two new focboxes fresh from Hong Kong and both thermal pads were properly applied with the film removed. They weren’t positioned exactly ideal, but plenty good enough. Moved them a tad for the slightly better coverage regardless. Good to know this isn’t happening to every focbox.

Hey guys just a friendly reminder I just purchased a focbox from a forum memeber brand new and the sticker was not peeled either, make sure to check your guys focbox if it was peeled or not. I understand mishaps.

3 Likes

@Exiledd_Top Well, I had to go check the other FOCBOX that came with that one and sure enough, sticker was still there. This one and the one you have were delivered early-mid January, and I’m guessing they must have been from the actual “in-stock” FOCBOX’s from Cyber Monday.

I checked 2 of the other 4 FOCBOX’s I ordered the day after Cyber Monday that didn’t show up until around March, and the sticker is removed on those. I think these must be from the newer batch and newer factory, since the serial numbers on them look different.

Thanks you all for letting me know! I opened my Focbox and the thermal pad in mine isn´t big enough to cover the fets. Would have hated to destroy it and have to send it back. Glad I just received it and is still in the testing fase.

I emailed Enertion and the complete response was “the thermal pad is 2mm thick.” Would have been nice if they had offered to send out a new pad. Yes, the thermal pad is rather inexpensive. But buying a single pad plus shipping runs about 20 euro, which as a student isn´t nothing. Plus it is their mistake. Shouldn´t really have to pay for fixing it.

Also I find it quite odd that they didn´t even ask for a serial number too identify where the problem came from. Makes it look like the don´t even care about there own product…

3 Likes

Can you tell me what it does?

It’s a thermal pad that transfers heat from the fets to the heatsink. That sticker should’ve been taken off at the factory and not left on.

1 Like

Mine (bought last year) were fine, though the soldering of two phase leads was sub par. Wire was frayed/not enough solder.

ok, after reading this thread I went to my stock and found all have the clear sicker. so the conclusion is thats bad and reduces the transfer of heat?

Yes, suppose to transfer heat but if there not contacting then its not really transferring the heat from the mother board

i bet all these thermal pad oversights are from one guy on the assembly line. someone needs to go to china and crack the whip

2 Likes

That’s what I was wondering, and why I posted the pics with the different serial numbers (fonts). I think the ones with the thermal pad issue could have come from the old factory; the same one that supposedly lied about having 500 units in stock for black Friday. Maybe that factory had issues extending beyond just lies about available stock. Hope it’s nothing more than the pad stickers though.

They are all from the same factory, they didn’t change their PCB factory.

1 Like

Oooh, I thought they changed factories after the black Friday fiasco and had to fight and wait to get their hands on the remaining, finished inventory. So, they just fired all the factory staff that were working on FOCBOX production? I’m still trying to understand how/why my 158xx FOCBOX order came in January, but my 153xx FOCBOX order came close to March, and what really went on behind the scenes with Enertion.

They fired the staff that was working on the Raptor, but since they where in charge on getting all other production going in different factories, you can guess that was where the nightmare began. The new team is using the same factory for the Focbox assembly, but they might have change a few processes (which could include serial number).

And believe me they are probably getting accountable for the mistakes that are happening, with the transfer pad.

2 Likes

Same here. The sticker was still there.

1 Like

:sweat:

IMG_0460!

IMG_0459!

IMG_0461

1 Like

Since a lot of people had the clear film still on there Focboxes I had to check mine to give myself peace of mind and I didn’t have the film but the thermal os was slightly off on one of them

1 Like