Focbox firmware error on first startup (SOLVED!)

Are you sure, the plug is completely in the socket? It sounds like your computer doesn’t recognize when you plug in the cable.

@high-roller can you tell more about your setup and post some picture.

Are you attempting a dual or single setup?

What battery?

What Motor?

Also are the blue LED light up on the Focboxes ?

Regards JF

I’m attempting a dual build. So two FOCboxes, two sk3 6374 motors 190kv. Battery is 10s5p , cells are 25r if that matters. The blue power LEDs light up for both just fine, as do the green signal LEDs. Let me know what you need pictures of. @yaca I tried a phone cable directly on the vescs, and got a connection for about five seconds before I got the error, so I don’t think it’s a a problem of physical contact.

I’ve seen bad usb cables to cause the device show up as “unknown” or to get a bad firmware version read out. Not sure if this is the case, but easy to get a new cable

True enough. I’m taking it to a friend tomorrow who also has FOCboxes and see if he can figure it out. I guess we’ll also check the cable.

What Com port does everyone use to connect? COM5? I was told to remove it by Enertion support and now I can’t connect at all.

In my case it’s COM12. Did you already talked with your friend about your problem and tried to connect your focbox to his computer?

Not yet, hoping tomorrow or monday. Out of curiosity I tried connecting without plugging in the usb, and I got the same error- “No firmware read response” . Is it possible that they came without firmware and I have to flash them again? Unlikely, I know, but still…

In my opinion your computer doesn’t recognize your focbox when you plug in the cable. In my case my pc gives me a sound when I plug in the cable and gives also a sound after disconnecting. Just to be sure, your focbox is powerd on (battery is connected) when you try to connect?

Yes, the blue power led is lighting up and I’m not getting any red LEDs or anything to indicate a problem. It just connects for a couple of seconds and then gets the error. I’ve never had this happen with any plug & play hardware before.

Which Firmware are you using and on which device ?

I’m not sure which firmware, though I bought them in june so I imagine it’s not outdated. Since I can’t read it from the vesc-tool I don’t know. what device are you referring to?

There is few VESC-Tool out there… which one are you using ? (where did you download it). And on which family of device PC or MAC ?

I tried the bldc-tool downloaded from enertion’s site, akmaniac’s bldc-tool, and the vesc-tool, all on a pc running windows 10.

I know there is some issue on MAC for Ackmaniac firmware, since I’ve never heard of any Issue with windows, my best guess is the same as @blasto, and is pointing to the USB cable.

That’s the thing, I tested the cable for data transfer on my phone and it worked perfectly.

have you try to connect it without the enclosure on the Focbox.

You mean the cover of the focbox itself? I havn’t tried that. I know @yaca solved his connection problem by grinding off some of the covering. If you really think the plug isn’t reaching in far enough?

yeah, The cover could be too thick with certain USB Cable.

Well, I feel kinda stupid now, since a couple of you said early on it was a bad connection. Notice the difference between these two?

The top photo is after I pushed it in all the way, the bottom is how I saw it once the cover was off. I did indeed have to push it in a bit further. It connected right away on the bldc-tool (version 2.18 bty), both akmaniac’s and the vesc-tool timed out the first time, second time they connected and told me I need to update my firmware. I guess I’ll take what I can get. Thanks very much everybody! @onloop could you see about maybe enlarging the USB opening to ensure full connection on future FOCboxes?

2 Likes