FOCBOX flashing fault repreatly

Please post more info about your setup. It will be very helpful to others. voltage motor KV bldc settings

will do, it was my first run at a dual setup, so all values were halvedā€¦ had to call it a night but will follow upā€¦ I ended up pulling the unit out also, batt max was at like 20 and motor max was something like 32ā€¦ still using 12s2p battery on TB6355ā€™s still sheding tears gotta mail it 2 Johnnyā€¦ =/

Some causes of blown drvā€™s

motor Kv too high for voltage Ramp step bug ( this issue was addressed long ago) Shorting of motor phase wires, either external or inside the motor.

Seems like FOCBOXes are blowing up everywhere. I just recieved 2x, I read about the risks with CAN. Any other hard to think about misstakes to avoid?

I was using split ppm safer imo

1 Like

I prefer split PPM over canbus I think itā€™s more reliable and no risk as long as you clip one of the 5v wires. We are currently testing the dual receiver with single controller concept which affords highest redundancy with no risk to Vesc.

I wonder how this will affect Raptor 2 owners in the near futureā€¦

@Namasaki according to trampa, the world may end if you use split Y on the VESC

2 Likes

if it hadnā€™t had been for the fact i was running dual motors, i would have ate it big, i was going down hill max speed when i felt the focbox dieā€¦ there was a huge jerk, and then i coasted and realized it was burnt toast

Is it just the China batch thatā€™s dying? Are the earlier US ones holding up better?

I would assume so as the recent batch was the only ones from Chinaā€¦ (China dosnt mean bad quality tho). With the new MFG they may not have got some really small detail wrong and now there are problemsā€¦

I have ridden 2 focbox in FOC (new batch) for a while now with no problemsā€¦ so it could be settings, who knows

ya my other unit is holding up just fineā€¦ gotta refine and build it againā€¦ just one hell of an expensive lesson

I think that only applies to Vesc 6 I canā€™t imagine why though

i can only think of like rca, where if you split signal you need a booster or maybe ferrite ringā€¦ i dono

Iā€™ve been running split ppm for over a year with no issues and no ferrite rings or boosters. Just gotta remember to only supply 5v from one source

There have been recent cases of the old version failing.

Have the failures all been on 12s?

Mine was 7S batt max 28A

12s2p battmax ~20-22

*mute the audio https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1KhCcXEs2BbUEctTC1aY0J0bjg/view this is the other working unitā€¦ runs pretty good

just bought a new one from @yummyblobs going to send the old unit to the wizardā€¦

TBH I donā€™t even understand why people use FOC. I mean, all it seems to do is blow out speed controllers. From what I hear, the only real benefit is quiet motors, which doesnā€™t really seem to be that big of a deal. I have heard the efficiency gains from FOC are minimal at best.

1 Like

Iā€™m with you on this. I have never used FOC and I have never had a Vesc fail.

1 Like