FOCBOX Heat Sinking

I’ve started to see more heat sinking options for the FOCBOXs and wondered if it’s a gimmick or is there a real need to keep the FOCBOX vented? I understand that anything with power going to it will heat up, but would it heat up to a point where it could potentially fail?

I’ve got a single FOCBOX. I’ll be changing my enclosure soon and wondered if it’s something I should consider.

Cheers, Daniel

If you only pull 10a at 10s then no, there is not much point. However, with higher continuous currents such as 50a+, it can fry. So a Heatsink would be necessary for safe® operation.

1 Like

One of these bad boys will reduce heat https://shop.3dservisas.eu/collections/cases/products/single-focbox-case-without-cooling-fins

1 Like

@BoostedBuilder I’m only running a 15000mah Zippy LiPo setup at the moment but I’ll be looking to change to Li-ion batteries in the future. I wouldn’t need it right now, would I?

@banjaxxed I was looking at the 3DServisas ones. I’d probably go with the dual fitment one because then I can add the second FOCBOX in when I upgrade from single drive to dual.

1 Like

That’s actually quite a big capacity!! :rofl: It depends on your VESC settings. What are your battery amps?

I’ve completely forgotten my settings! I want to say the motor current max is 45a?

For my Lacroix, I did this: I hope it helps.

I thermal taped a big 1/4" aluminum stock to my enclosure (it is carbon so maybe it should pull some heat as well?) Then silickned the perimeter.

Then thermal taped my focboxes onto it.

20180727_11142120180727_111425

We will see if it helps thermal throttling in this vicious Alabama heat.

2 Likes