Focbox in FOC mode

I can’t remember anymore haha I just did the normal detection from vedder’s video

1 Like

Please elaborate my humble friend :smile:

It’s called the focbox cause the vesc name got trademarked…it’s a vesc-x which is a vesc 4.12 with a few upgrades. Personally I’ve found the ollin vesc to be most reliable and guaranteed to have upgraded components.
I can’t recall anywhere near as many incidents of them getting killed in a couple miles compared to focbox

@florensvb doing detection with the battery being used on the board?

Well, the usual such as motor and battery specs from which you calculate min and max amps. Beside the FOC motor setup those are practically the most important ones which can make an impact on performance. But as I’ve learned the hard way, more performance equals more cooling. Keep them fets as low temp as possible. Air flow is crucial.

Evolve carbon gt has a text book example of efficient vesc cooling :wink:

Using DIY Vesc in FOC on 10s (192kv single) and since last week two FOCboxes in FOC on my Trampa on 12s (149kv dual) without any problems whatsoever. First configured everything in bldc and then switched and configured to FOC. No special firmwares or anything.

I just took out my FocBox with the fault to send to our DRV Wizard. I noticed these pins on the DRV8302 looks to be soldered together. I wonder if that’s my issue…if so, is this user error or manufacturer error?

those legs are supposed to be bridged as shown

1 Like

thanks, good to know. Guess there are no visible signs of damage, no smell, no burn marks, nothing. Off to Canada it goes

1 Like

I send all my vesc-x’s (FOCBoxes) to Canada too. @Blasto is super cool and is probably the only guy next to @JohnnyMeduse that I would want touching my expensive vescs. They both know their stuff.

“send ALL my vesc-x” hmmm how many is that?! Sounds like they can’t be trusted

1 Like

From the wizard himself…nothing to see here.

Ok guys, just switch to FOC and went on my first ride! Never going back hahahha. Just did the 3 calculations in the Foc tab and hit apply, done.

Oh hell yeah its soo quiet and smooth. People here in Berlin went from “whats this guy there a 100 metres away doing on that humming machine” to “wohow what just passed me?!” :smiley:

Few questions:

1. What can i do about the start up stutter?
  2. The brakes are also smooth, except for when i get pretty slow, then it just hits the brakes to dead stop.
  3. Can i try full throttle now without blowing the thing up? haha

Cheers guys

2 Likes

I felt the same way when I tried foc the first time. It’s so awesome. If your motors are sensored then you can set that up on the vesc-x too. It will start smoothly then. I just did this. You need the proper cable to attach the motor sensor to the vesc. I’m running sensored foc on both of my boards now.

Edit* thought I read something about this and I’m sorry to hear that. It would be prudent to make sure none of those tiny wires are touching each other. There are people who say they have good start up without sensored by tweaking their vesc’s.

I just saw that and edited my post lmao

yeah haha what kind of vesc settings can i tweak with?

hope thats true hahaha

actually i feel like the startup problem is no big deal cause i can just give one kick but the brakes at low speed are really weird :smiley:

Perhaps this could help. This is in ackmaniacs extended firmware.

1 Like

This is true, I find it a bit unnatural or uncomfortable even not kick pushing to start. So I do it anyway.

Im the same i blew a vesc in foc mode I got a focbox i didnt set up foc yet on it But same thing cant stop thing how nice it was It felt like floating like i had no wheels… Im setting up again this week end

2 Likes

its like floating and only took me a min to set up. no issues after first 2hrs ride

3 Likes

took me a minute to setup and maybe a block to blow something (DRV fault). One FocBox is on it’s way to Canada for repair, the other still works. exact same settings running split ppm. Not sure I want to attempt Foc for a while

1 Like