FOCBOX Pilot | New open-source universal remote by Enertion

I see deadman as being kinda not needed. Instead I love what Hoyt st did with their remote where you can basically deactivate it by double clicking the power button

2 Likes

No idea how they plan on implementing deadmans switch, but at least on the remotes Iā€™ve previously had it on it doesnā€™t slam the brakes when you let go of the deadmans switch. Instead it doesnā€™t let you throttle up without it being held down. Brakes work without it.

Deadmans switch personally for me is a must. There have been so many times when Iā€™ve launched my board as a projectile because my throttle got caught in my clothing as I was fiddling around with something else. Now I have skidmarks in my apartments floor that wont wash off.

Deadmans switch also adds a very welcome layer of safety in case of the throttle erroring out for some reason. (bug in the firmware or faulty hall sensor hardware)

But then again - itā€™s open source. Pretty sure you could make it turn on your coffee maker somehow.

5 Likes

Guys dont worry! It will be avalible 2023, they will get it right at the 5th batch. :sweat_smile:

Its a sweet looking remote for sure, nice work. Keep it up :slight_smile:

Deadman switch is ok , but then i would like the possibilty to turn it off, like the evolve remote.

10 Likes

Aww 2023!? Really!!??. I need a remote now :disappointed:

1 Like

You have a point there, though i didnā€™t mean cheap. Also i didnā€™t say fast :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Nice work! Had the chance to see this thing at the esk8 convention in Denver! Love the innovation you guys are doing to push the industry further. Canā€™t wait to have one for myself.

3 Likes

Awesome work @Deodand

2 Likes

Use a magnetic usb charge port. Ican forsee this will be the first thing falling off. Or use glue to lock it down!

1 Like

I think now it will be USB-C so the issue with charge port will be fixed and gone for good :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Love it! canā€™t wait!

Look beautiful love it Just the dead man really donā€™t like this Good job :champagne::champagne::champagne::champagne:

This is great; I love the idea of a dedicated RF board developed for esk8. There are tons of options out there but having to repackage stuff like the GT2B just isnā€™t reasonable, and there are no good open source options.

Do you plan to sell the PCBā€™s alone, and if so do you have an idea of availability and price?

Iā€™ve got a project that could REALLY use this kind of board; excited to see where it goes :slight_smile:

Thanks for your interest and enthusiasm! Iā€™d like to organize a small run of them, they should be reasonably cheap so sitting on a small amount of stock shouldnā€™t be too big of a dealā€¦ Iā€™ll share more when I know more :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@Devilmycry Just to be clear the Deadman trigger can be fully disabled if itā€™s not your cup of tea. Itā€™s not something I personally prefer either, but I did ram by board into @Blastoā€™s ankle in Colorado so maybe I canā€™t be trusted without one :smile:

4 Likes

Great work Jeff! Super excited to get my hand on one and keen to see what the community does with it.

1 Like

BLE with a solid protocol and chip. Good

LED array. Good

Customisable dead man. Good

Design. Schweet. Stanley knife haters be damned. It looks like a pilot control device to me.

LEDs where your hand is, cool but I think hard to get value from as I wonā€™t be able yo watch under my hand when riding, just be wasting precious juice. And is a bit overkill as battery indication goes. Perhaps a single LED pixel for battery would suffice?

Ya done good, please sell me one soon.

6 Likes

Oof, is there a timeline for this? Iā€™d certainly like to get in on it

1 Like

Lovely. Looking forward to this.

Momentary or latching (configurable) to control a 2nd ppm channel, or a relay. For horns, lights, etc.

no UART, and instead CAN? Interdastingā€¦

Please source good quality stuff, that wonā€™t puff after 10 cycles. Maybe even 1x18650, which are highly evolved now (tough, abuse tolerant, very high capacity).

4 Likes

Love to see the work. We need more remote options!

As always, impressed with your knowledge and ability to innovate Jeff!

2 Likes

Very cool, looking forward to seeing this in person. It would be great to have another reliable remote on the market!

1 Like