FocBox Tenka Question(s)

im using Flipsky 6354 which have a 65 amp max

You’re good then. The battery max amp however, should be 15A per side.

Alright, I have finally put everything together and programmed the ESC. The battery does charge, but the light on the on/off button repeatedly flashes twice. It’s an Evolve GTR and I’m having trouble finding any information on what the light sequence means. Everyone suggests calling Evolve themselves but it’s unlikely they’ll help because I’ve removed the ESC and bypassed the BMS. Any suggestions?

I’m fairly confident that the BMS is the issue. Now looking at the remote display it looks like it’s saying the board has no battery, but I know with absolute certainty that it is charged. With that information I’m figuring that since the battery is fine and the ESC works, all that’s left to go wrong is the bms.

This is correct. But the power button is what confuses me. Is that evolves? Or did that come with the tenka? Also, the remote will not show battery if the battery indicator lead isnt soldered unto the positive side of the battery from the receiver. Unless that remote doesn’t have one and is embedded for only the evolve (meaning it has no separate receiver and its all from the esc).

In other words, anything evolve related has to be removed. The power button has to be replaced with the tenka (if it has one) or make a loop key instead. Does the board still function? Meaning, does the tenka turn on when you press the button? If so, then the double blinking means pairing mode issue or issue with the connection. If the board works, ignore that entirely.

I did unplug the evolve power button but even then I wasn’t able to get the motors to move via remote. I tried using it both with and without the evolve button just to make sure. The Tenka turns on and the light on the Tenka power button goes solid and so does the receiver once I turn on the remote. The system itself works, as when I connect it to VESC Tool, The motors register and rotate when I run it through the sensing cycle. I will order a new bms and get the battery indicator lead soldered up. Thanks!

Is the remote set up via ppm/uart? You can check via remote settings in vesc tool. If your remote is a uart remote, im not sure on how to set that up tbh with you. I only know pwm. I think your system is fine. Its probably the remote set up. Because if the tenka and the battery works fine and you can still charge, its probably the remote.

This is the final thing to do. Congrats once you got this all done. Enjoy your ride.

Its set up via UART and I know how to set it up. Its paired and everything, all that’s left is to connect the battery indicator lead. Ive done a bit more research since last night and Im certain its a bms issue. I have one on the way and will get everything set up when that arrives.

1 Like

You should be fine then. Hoping for good news later on.

Alright, I think they sent me the wrong bms. I don’t have a C- on the one they sent me. It also says “not for use with life04 cells”. Are either of these going to be problematic?

Heres my worry, There are pin connectors on the underside of the BMS that connect to the battery, Theyre in the “L” shape at the top of the image. I’m kind of thinking that since there are 11 pins on that larger brick, Its likely each one correlates to a cell pack, seeing as it is a 10s4p. The 11th spot would be for the negative. Am I correct in that assumption?

As far as C+ and C- go, I think ill be fine without it on my bms. The C+ and C- are attached to the board that the battery sits on and are independent from the BMS. They connect straight to the charger, of course. I think ill be ok with what I’ve guessed here, but let me know your thoughts and if it makes sense. Thanks!

*** There are 6 C- pins on the bms I just realized, how do I connect these?

Heres a close up of all the connectors I’m talking about:

What is that bms?

As far as I know:

C should be on every bms. That is Charge wire. Its usually a yellow wire and you connect the negative wire on it. Do you have the photo of the bms?

There are C pins below I hadn’t realized

This is the BMS they sent me:

Oh okay. That is the bms you’ll be using.

Yes, but when I watched videos, many people had a yellow C cable on their bms as well. I believe you do in your set up above, didn’t you?

Yeah i did. Apparently that bms charges using the p-

51KeZk45gqL.AC_SY580

Pretty much similar, but it uses the p- as charge -

Basically put b- on the negative side of the terminal and the p- on the negative side of your charger wire.

Ok perfect, what do i do as far as the C goes? And Evolve uses Li Ion cells and not LiFeP04 cells right?

Correct. C is a negative wire on your charger lead wire. Just solder the black wire onto the p- and the balance lead accordingly. It has to go in order, otherwise, you won’t see any charge. If you see the red discharge wire, the last bms wire goes there. That would be the charge point. So you should have a b-, a black wire as a start off on the wire lead (11 counted), and then finally p- soldered to the discharge lead.

Edit as key note: make sure you wire a new negative discharge wire lead so that your pack is the discharger instead of the bms. You’re only going to solder the p- on the wire.