FOCBOX Unity Dual Motor!

will the Unity be for everyone or only available to builders/resellers?

3 Likes

they have @Ackmaniac on board as far as i know - so phone apps should definitely not be a problem.

1 Like

Lol, I live in southern California, there are no seasons, it’s a few days of rain a year (like today). But yeah, I’m not sure I would like to have this Unity FocBox. Although is would be great to program both sides at the same time.

2 Likes

I can see a few positives…no more CAN issues, built in voltmeter connection will save some wireing. The problem I have with it is the possibility of loss of the whole electronic drive system. That could be the killer depending on the price. For fairly tame boards (10s on 97’s with 15/36, limited to 40 battery amps) it would likely be a perfect solution. I wouldnt wanna be the 1st to try it with 12 and AT’s though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Up here is always one season…

5 Likes

We will offer our instant replacement warranty option on the unity. If you have as fault, no matter what the reason, a new one will be instantly dispatched.

15 Likes

@onloop I assume that this kind of replacement has to fall under warranty. So any kind of firmware update, custom firmware, or modification of the board will instantly void it, correct?

1 Like

Exactly - that means you have to buy 2 more instead of 1 more. This is brilliant. Just waiting for some proprietary firmware, removing standard connectors in favor of proprietary ones, and some fruit on the back and raise the price a few times for good measure.

2 Likes

Instantly like focboxes 140 days later? :smiley:

10 Likes

The FOCBOX Unity is using a different MCU utilizing 100 pins. I had to count the 25 pins on one side to get that number from the photo. At most I think there have to be at least 30 extra pins over the 64 pin STM32F405RTG to connect and enable to the second DRV8301 on the same side. The MOSFETs look like the ones you can find in RC ESCs.

Still wondering amp ratings… what are we talking about in terms of motor and battery? @blasto

1 Like

Looks like it uses toshiba’s SOP Advance 8 package, problem is that the thermal resistance is going to be a lot higher vs the IRF7749.

1 Like

i’ve not tested it on a eload just yet to get a proper amp rating. So far it’s running the raptor 2 like a champ

This is an early render, the whole bottom of the pcb will be coupled to the heatsink. No smt components on the bottom.

I actually find the conversation mini vs micro vs C quite interesting, nothing is set in stone

5 Likes

This looks interesting but I’m confused with the side placed cables… Like that just seems like poor design. Maybe I’m wrong?

Placed on both sides to go to both motors through holes in you enclosure? I don’t get why it would be poor design it seems like it would be perfect for most builds

1 Like

Not the motor phase cables, the ones for the battery pack.

1 Like

Damn didn’t see that. Hope they change it

Am i the only one who’s excited for this? This will save me a hundred bucks, no need for an antispark and apparently will be cheaper than buying 2 focbox. Also frees up space in my enclosure since i don’t have to fit in 4 xt90 connectors.

3 Likes

personal i think 1 power cable in the side makes way more sense than 2 in the bottom. then my bms can go right against the bottom without having to worry about unnecessary space for connecting 2 cables together.

1 Like

Ok that is a perspective I hadn’t considered. I guess it’s not so wide as to be pressed up against the sides of an enclosure… I think at least.