FOC'ing around (weak brakes and cutout)

hummmm… it’s kinda of weird… FOC motor detection is suppose to allow you more flexibility…

I’m 99% sure I narrowed it down to a springy bullet connector, 1 of the 3 phase leads if I rattle it aggressively I can hear the ticks and then over current fault @Jinra try it on the bench, full throttle, secure 2 leads and abuse one like you’re going over tough terrain, go through each I’m switching everything to mt60 tomorrow

1 Like

I’m using 2.18 stock firmware on my FOOCbox, 2x4S 5Ah Lipo 245kV and full throttle acceleration and punchouts work flawlessly. No BMS, old fashion charging and discharging. 4mm bullets on my SK3 and Focbox, everthing else is XT90.

I’ve seen some in use for almost a year in FOC without a single fault, and others dead in less than 10 miles. It’s really the luck of the draw with the focbox.

I don’t think it’s a physical connection issue for me. all my connections are rock solid and like i said, it can go over current on the bench as well.

Mine can go overcurrent on the bench too without movement, but not consistently, I can force a fault if I shake 1 phase wire. Jiggle and twist it at every connection including on the vesc. I can replicate on 2 vescs

mine is consistent with both vescs. I’m using split ppm so can bus wouldn’t be influencing each other. Every time i blast full throttle with the default 130a abs max, it throws the fault on the bench

If you run at full throttle for a few min on the bench do any of the connections heat up?

never tested but i can check it out after riding tomorrow. i imagine that would be a better test than running it on bench.

The raptor 2 uses tiny 3.5mm bullets and 14 awg cable and it seems to run fine

On mine the bad one heats up on the bench, the others dont. Just seems like a bad plug

Do your setup without belts to get best accuracy. Do it at system voltage! Use 50A max to get started. Increase step by step. Weak brakes are a matter of your battery min. I suggest to use the same values for motor max, battery max, and motor min, battery min. Then you can start to spread the values further apart.

Frank

already did all that, and like i said, this setup and settings was working great on bldc 2.18. it only started having problems after transitioning to FOC 3.28

Also, why is the default value for battery regen -40? Seems excessively high.

30-40A is about the current that will flow when you brake hard. You need to shoot it somewhere and that’s your battery. Whenever you brake you generate. Usually you don’t do that continuously, so its not to much of an issue to use higher values. It’s happens only for a few seconds.

Frank

unless you’re going down a long and steep hill. Going down a mountain braking with -40a current sounds like an easy way to make them explode given a standard 18650 only takes up to 4a current

Going down a steep hill, the higheste current i have regen. is around 6,5amp pr. vesc…

what’s your regen set to?

First i had bat min : -20a then bat min. -8a . Dosn`t change a thing… same thing on the mobile log…

honestly anecdotal evidence doesn’t really matter. The point is that -40a current on a setup like 3p 18650 sounds dangerous. That setup can only accept 12a continuous.

I do get that that’s the maximum current it can have and should only apply when you hit regen speeds, but it still sounds sketchy.

I don’t understand why the brakes are so different from 2.18 to 3.28 on the same settings

When your motor acts as a generator, braking your board, it generates electricity and that needs to go somewhere. Either you evaporate it into heat (heat plate) or feed your battery. Going down a long steep hill, constantly braking, you feed the battery and the hill should not be steeper than your battery can cope with. You will roughly pump the same amount of energy into the battery than what you would use to go up the hill minus the losses you have when you shift kinetic energy into electric energy. Battery min. defines your maximum braking force, same like battery max. defines you maximum system power.

Frank

Shouldn’t Motor min determine your max braking force given that battery min always has to be lower?

I just don’t see why the change was made between the old and new f/w? It worked great on 2.18