FOC'ing around (weak brakes and cutout)

I’m also curious why the voltage reading drops, I’m guessing the one shown in the fault wasn’t your actual voltage?

It cut out nearly instantaneously, so my guess is it that its because it never ramped up to full duty cycle (see .7 duty cycle in VESC 1).

I’ve seen that on mine with duty cycles all over the place

I upped my ABS max to 140 and it seems to have stopped the OC faults on the bench, I’ll try it in real world riding and see how it goes.

1 Like

I just did the same :crossed_fingers:

Hoping the 40% polynomial braking curve helps with the braking reponse as well

Welp, just ran a block and hit 148 amp OC fault one VESC and none on the other. Only once in the 2 minute ride, however. Perhaps 150-160 would be a better setting.

As for the braking, 40% polynomial did not help, simpy made the braking more unpredictable.

Do you know what the fault stop time setting under the advanced tab in motor config does? Would that increase how long it has to read the over current to fault?

Pretty sure it just disables your control for the set time, mine is .5 seconds by default. Also you can’t set ABS max over 150 as the program limits you to that…

This setting

thats mine

Interesting, never changed it. Is that on the new fw?

yea it’s probably a new default value

Do you hear a tick before getting the fault?

haven’t noticed, it’s pretty loud at full speed, also more worried about not eating it when i get a fault while riding

Lol yeah I know that feeling. I’m doing runs holding my phone in front of me watching the fault live :grin: I hear a tick and I know a fault is coming within seconds unless I let go of the throttle. The tick prior to fault has been pretty consistent

From motor/s to vesc what connectors are you using? I never had this error on prior build that was using mt60 from motor to vesc. On this one I continued with the connectors that came on the motor which were the 5mm bullet with the springy part on the male side. I think those springy bullets might be at fault

5.5mm bullets 12 awg

@Jinra … Tips… The new firmware is still a experimental thing… I’ve try it and from personal experience I really don’t like it, because the brake are not really nice, it like they are fully on then disappear… still the best firmware is @Ackmaniac (still using it in current… but … I’m not dead yet)

1 Like

I have the opposite experience, where they’re fairly weak, then as I approach PPM min, it brakes harder.

The problem with ackmaniac’s f/w was that FOC wouldn’t run at all. Detection would work, but throttling to around 80% duty cycle caused the motor to cog and spaz out.