Folding Electric Long Board Build

Nice to enjoy something you made!

I guess if mating to a traditional concaved board which has flex, then it’s all down to the hinge which would need to be very special as to work well. No problem with a metal board like a beercan

Flexible boards with a concave don’t like hinges, I would be sceptical how this could be done for instance with a vanguard without damaging the deck at the mating area, maybe a hinge like used with glass would be more approriate.

Regular hinge no bueno, maybe two is better

A two-part enclosure a-la-Vanguard could work with a hinge, the running power lines normally channel into a deck would need to reappear just before and after the hinge with enough length the handle the hinge operation, about teh same as a loop key

They could be kept flush to the bottom of the deck with simple rubber loops which stretch when the hinge is rotated

1 Like

The hinge is actually curved to match a board with a concave deck. It sits completely flush with the deck. When open, you would have no idea there was a hinge at all. It is rock solid as if the board had never been cut in half. It is very robust. More so than a hinge made for a glass shower door.

It also has the locking and unlocking mechanism built in. How would you lock the deck open, and then unlock it to close?

The hinge in my pic uses the axis to lock, a two piece attachment makes sense for concave

If the hinge itself is not concave like the board, then yes it would make sense to have two pieces. But if the hinge is concave like the board then it would make more sense to use one large hinge. Here is a top view of the deck and hinge when folded. You can see that both the deck and hinge are concave and come together flush.

2 Likes

thats nice, what did it come off?

1 Like

love the hinge!! did you got it like a spare part?

nevermind, you just bought the board there and then electrified it! still a really nice build though

they only sell with deck on the site…looks like a good quick solution

I bought the board and hinge together. I had planned on just attaching my electronics and trucks to the bottom of the deck that comes with Boardup, but the deck ended up being to small to fit everything under. So I had to disassemble the hinge and kick release mechanism, find a different deck, and modify it to fit the hinge and kick plate. If I had gone with a smaller battery, I probably could have used the deck that comes with it.

1 Like

The build is awesome. If you modified a new deck to fit the hardware, where (or how) did you get the rubber pads that meet in the middle when the board is unfolded?

Those foam inserts come with the “BoardUp” deck. I just took everything off of the original deck and modified the new deck to fit it.

But aren’t they glued on? Did you just rip them off?

They are glued on, yes. I just used a razor blade and cut them off, trying to waste as little as possible. There are also tiny little metal pieces screwed to the deck, under the foam, on each corner. The board is notched so they sit flush. They help protect the edges of the board from damage

I just finished mine

Atom board, Riptide parts image

9 Likes

Looks great man! Congrats! Hows she ride?

Hey @VerticalMedia. I’m new to building but been researching for a while. I’m looking to do a similar build to yours. I’d like to keep the board in a standard backpack. That means I’m looking to keep the standard deck so that it’s 17" folded and trucks under 180mm. I know I want a single belt motor. Range is not a priority for me. Just wanted to ask you if you had any specific tips or lessons learned along the way during your build. Also, where did you get your enclosures? Thanks for whatever help you can offer.

Sorry in advance if I’m breaking any rules.

You researched where?

• 2 days visited
  • 1h read time
1 Like

He may have been reading on the forum for a long time before making an account and posting, as I did.

4 Likes

See lol my high self instinctively thinks unless you create an account, you can’t do anything on here lol. I seriously need to slow down on the herb. 23b2932b5ea8d568b894fa30df8c06368fb4b692_1_500x500 (Thank you for this one @Skunk lol)

5 Likes