Freefly Robotics new universal motor controller, ARC200. Thoughts?

I have received nothing yet.

Congratulations on making it on Evening Magazine yesterday. I think drone surfing will catch on.

Quick update we sent out units to Mike and Long Haired Boy today!

9 Likes

Yeah, got the shipment notification this morning. Looking forward to it. Thanks @tabbytabb.

1 Like

Ech :smiley: Would have tested the shit out of them with 180A rated motors :smiley:

1 Like

A No go for efficient low pole inrunners. My hope for everyone else is that this esc has the ability to operate with 40% of itā€™s capability never being used. Keeping shit cool increases the longevity and reliability for safe rides at speedā€¦:checkered_flag::checkered_flag: IMG_20181012_064751

1 Like

I have some tricks up my sleave for low induction motors :wink:

2 Likes

Specifically motor inductance must be over 12uH. I think we have gotten away with a few lower but Tyler probably doesnā€™t want me saying that publicly!

:wink:

2 Likes

Youā€™re a city boy. These things need some off-road hills to chew on with 120 kg of weight in total on top.

Then there is the chance of reverse engineering. Iā€™d be too stupid for that. JK

2 Likes

Haha too late :smiley:

@tabbytabb thanks for letting me test themā€¦ I was thinking that my focboxes will not be able to push new motors hard with only 90A on 180A motors ;D

EDIT: With new gear drive I will be going full offroad :smiley:

2 Likes

I just got the FreeFly ARC 200 gear & holy mother of Skatan it looks nice! I am going to replace the VESC-Xā€™s in my Bludgeon Build with them and see what they can do. This will give me a good base line to compare from as Iā€™ve got 100ā€™s of miles on the Bludgeon.

@tabbytabb, this is quality stuff, thanks again for the opportunity to test.

19 Likes

When youā€™re done with the testing. Ship em to me and Iā€™ll see how they perform in -25Ā°c :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

@tabbytabb , great looking product you have here. What brand of connectors have you used for the signal wires? They look very nice!

Right on Mike! Canā€™t wait to see you using them

1 Like

Thanks Alex,

They are a JST waterproof latching connector. Its really hard to find waterproof and latching connectors in a size / weight range that we wanted. I know David spent a long time looking for the ā€˜perfectā€™ connector.

Its always such a tough tradeoff between designing things to be ultra bulletproof / cheap / lightweight.

3 Likes

@mmaner how is your experience with them?

1 Like

Iā€™m just about done building. I decided to build/rebuild a new board with my existing gear drive. Finished the battery pack this morning, extending the phase wires now.

7 Likes

Thanks, I assume you mean the JST JWPF series? Looks the most similar to me. Did you have them over-molded by JST, or by someone else?

Good look at the software setup here.

4 Likes

thats really niceā€¦ now i want a scooter :yum: on psychotiller wheels that fur jacket rofl

3 Likes