From cool to fool in less than 1 second

No you probably can’t ollie a eskate and it probably won’t have helped to make an ollie there, wouldn’t even be possible (cause you need both feet touching your board to perform one). Anyways thats not what i ment.

No you probably can’t ollie a eskate

Did I claim that I could? - did I say it´s impossible? Can you ollie an esk8? Care to share your skill with the rest of us? Video perhaps? I’m an old dog and you know what they say - you can’t teach and old dog new tricks.

with the skills you will evolve this won’t happen again.

really?

Not everyone here has the extra time or talent to learn “actual skating”. I think that advice can only be as good as it´s practicability. Therefore It´s only worth learning if I can use the skill in real situations - anything else is a waste of time. Look, I´m interested in some good and practical advice and not in drama. So I´m interested in what you actually were trying to say in your first post.

I think a lot of esk8ers need to learn to ride at least a normal push longboard. Seems like a lot of skating noobs are hitting the streets without a proper feeling for skating. What’s a longboard without carving?

2 Likes

Agreed.

I don´t think it´s a good idea to jump into esk8ing without any experience on a longboard. Learning how to foot-brake is also a good idea. I pushed a longboard a whole summer before I decided I´m too old to push :grin:

simialr thing when i first started riding… i was in DC taking in the monuments and was standing at a stop light but had more of my weight on the one foot on the board than on the ground… accidentally hit the gas and it threw me back…i rolled it out fine like a turtle but naturally put my hand out to break my fall… i didnt feel it then but later in the week my wrist felt like it had been jammed (which it was) and took a couple months to go away. Being a fitness instructor for almost 2 solid months i couldnt do a proper plank and handstands were out of the question which is a big one for me.

2 things i dont do any more.

1- I never stand on the board fully at a red light or for any waiting instance. 2- i do tho keep one foot on the board 'in case shit" but keep more weight on the leg on the ground than on the board so an 80/20 split. Since then no issues.

other than that i always have a helmet and depending on how far im riding or how hard I wear soft knee pads…i like to ride hard and sometimes carve hard and it inevitable that the wheels may slide out… a wet spot or sandy area that breaks traction unexpectedly or even me carving to hard and getting unbalanced.

1 Like

i exactly ment wath @jess.t.moody said

A real longboarder can ride and steer on one leg for several hundred feet at least. You should be comfortable moving around the board whereas a lot of esk8ers are tentatively cemented to their board. This makes me want to go out and do some old-fashioned carving amiright?:grin:

do this ALL THE TIME, 10s5p belt setup its not easy but very possible and really rewarding :wink: the extra weight means you need to use some throttle to wheelie first.

you need to have a deck with a real tail my fav. eDeck for ollies is my Lush Machine https://lushlongboards.com/buy/machine-3d/ and enc.s tend not to last forever they do break at the mount points due to stresses

2 Likes

I did it… I started riding my esk8 without ny prior knowledge on how to ride any type of skate and I’m still alive. :slight_smile: I had my reality check moment about riding an esk8 the second day I rode and applied the brakes just to test how they really worked…

And worked just fine, I wasn’t prepared and I was projected from the board and landed in my elbow, hands and knees after trying to run… Fortunately I was using knee, elbow, hand protections besides the helmet. Nevertheless I scratched some skin of the elbow, the protection moved when I hit the ground.

The brakes on my esk8 are rubish, since this first hard fall I’m really careful when I apply the brakes, maybe that’s why I survived since without any major fall.

Last month I bough a regular longboard without motor just for the fun of pushing and it’s being easy riding it. The only thing is that I don’t do as many miles as before. :slight_smile:

Ouch - glad you were wearing your gear. I could stop my board fairly well at low speeds without kissing the pavement and had to bail out a few times because my brakes were set too weak but no serious health risks so far. I just wish i had more time and grow a bigger pair and finally learn how that brake/slide my board like a downhill pro.My second summer on an esk8 and still not a single scratch. And I also started working out and lose some weight and increased my agility and physical strength by doing calisthenics. since i put my feet on an esk8. I figured out that it might come in handy just in case s**t hits the fan. You never know…