Full face helmets and awareness

Lmao never ever. I love her too much :joy:

2 Likes

They look like some sort of snow boarding or ski helmets. seems like they have less ventilation than regular helmets no?

I only had the Pass helmet on maybe 2 minutes. the chin strap wasn’t as easy as a typical buckle and for sure not as easy to hear compared to the half helmet bern. the chin pads were not as nice as not having them to me. Pass has “good” visibility but for sure a half helmet is better. actually if youre in a tuck the bern is harder to see ahead but still rather take the bern. a serious fraction of the cost and no visor to scratch, and no obsession necessary to keep it from scratching, and I feel like the bern is good for multiple hits while I think generally people with the pass toss it after one hit. The bern felt like it could take a bigger hit. I was shocked by how well it took a really bad hit with me…and still using the same one.

1 Like

Lol I’m still confused how visibility is better on a half cap. I can’t even see the Jaw with my pass on i literally just see the top brim like a half cap.

Reusing any helmet after any hits is just risking your own safety.

2 Likes

what about ‘scrapes n scratches’ the kind of thing when you spot after a fall there’s a mark but your felt no impact? I’m using mine after one of these - now rethinking that little

1 Like

It really depends, and I don’t want to be the one making a decision for others. But

• outer shell scratches can turn into helmet cracking on next impact
  • if the impact was hard of soft and your brain bucket sports MIPS, the membrane is likely shifted
  • the foam inside compresses with any impact with your head in the lid. The foam never uncompresses, and looses brain cushion effectiveness for any future impact

I personally won’t even wear a helmet if it’s been dropped. Can walk away from most injuries. Can’t walk off a TBI. So I leave the decision to the wearer, as I cannot form a valuation of another’s own importance.

4 Likes

Thom Parks, who has overseen testing, standards, and safety at Bell Sports since 1998, including now its in-house testing lab, the Dome gives his answer as to the most important ways to know if an EPS (common) helmet is still good: #1. How Does the Helmet Look?

If and how hard you hit your head is going to make a big difference in whether your helmet has been seriously damaged. Parks suggests starting your decision with a thorough inspection. “You can do an inspection or send it to the manufacturer, who can do a very good inspection to see if that helmet was damaged,” he says. “In good light, check the inside and outside of the helmet, and look for evidence of crushing or cracking.”

If there’s minor crushing, you may not have to replace the helmet. “In reality, the next accident probably won’t hit in the same spot,” Parks says. “For the most part, a helmet that’s crushed a little bit is probably going to work fine in the next accident, but it’s dangerous for anyone to make that statement, because we don’t know what that next accident is going to be.” TGS pass is made of EPS

2 Likes

Right after I fell I felt it would just be cosmetic but about to do a proper inspection.

Here is my inspection from a 35mph fall. Cosmetically the helmet looks like just a couple superficial scratches

3 Likes

I disagree and you dont have to replace your helmet every time you go down

As you pointed out in your video it wasn’t just minor cosmetic damage. on the outside it maybe seemed so but inside it was compressed on the side you hit. the fiberglass being compressed…that’s ok. the foam liner becoming unglued…you could reglue it. the compression is the only thing that in my mind warrants probably replacing.

Disagree all you want. Your brain not mine

Use your own discretion as I stated before.

/Unfollowing topic

1 Like

So I seem to have more damage than I expected it’s nowhere near as visible as yours it’s only slightly off but enough for me to not trust it 100% I’m really glad I checked!!!

1 Like

theres no magic ingredients in a helmet its just foam and a hard shell. if there’s still foam there and the shell there…its a helmet. throwing out a 300$ helmet because you might have dropped it is silly

1 Like

But is is about the dumbest thing I have ever read on the forums

3 Likes

yes you can reglue that part that came unglued. if you want to say that’s dumbest thing on the forum…I think buying an almost 300$ helmet and telling people its not safe if you drop it would be pretty close to that…but I talk nicer and not so dramatic

2 Likes

youre obviously salty now and aren’t open to discussion but I have to get in my cents if youre going to run off like that with big claims and insults. glue is just glue and its not in any way protecting your head. it is holding the stuff that does protect your head in place. and fiberglass can flex. it does that without cracking and will rebound to very close to its original compression ability. you write like you think you know it all but theres many other people who will disagree with you.

Name calling? Did I call you a name? No I said your statement was dumb. Big difference.

Regluing an adheasive that is designed to break away in torsion? Is it gonna break away with you gluing it there?

$300 for peace of mind, vs potentially life altering event.

I am not here to argue, nor will I continue to say anything further, I have already said use your own discretion, and said so from the beginning, as it is your noggin, not mine.

You even asked to buy my beat ass helmet and I wouldn’t sell it to you, because I don’t trust it, or your decision making. Your brain bucket, will not be at any fault of mine. And I will not argue with you, as I have already made my points.

Decide your own safety, and don’t suggest such asinine things to others.

2 Likes

Back on topic :slight_smile: I find that a good fullface actually makes less wind noise than bare head or half helmet, so you actually hear better when you get some speed. On motorcycles I even wear earplugs, as danger noises still get througt but nuisance hearing destroying noise is better controlled.

And the face shied definetely helps with dust and whatnot, improving my vision.

3 Likes

asinine? I literally cut and pasted what the dude who designs and tested said and I say its worth following his advice. throwing out your helmet if you drop it, as you say you would do, I don’t think you will find anyone who agrees with that

I don’t know how many times I have to say this. Use your own discretion. My personal decisions do not effect you. If I drop a lid, it’s getting replaced. I could care less if anyone agrees with that point. It’s my dome piece.

And yes, regluing a helmet liner on a damaged helmet is asinine.