Fuses: Correct voltage rating

Finishing up a build using a Vedder anti spark and need to get a fuse.

All the threads I’ve found on fuses talk about using a blade fuse (generally automotive 12V), but hardly anyone mentions that this is actually dangerous.

Fuses are voltage rated and you shouldn’t use it for a higher voltage application due to the risk of arcing. A blown 12v (or 24v) fuse is likely to arc on a 10S or 12S system. An arcing fuse won’t protect jack and is actually a fire hazard.

So, anyone out there using correctly voltage rated fuses? If so, what do you recommend?

I did research on this when I was building a couple months ago and did come across the advice not to use 12v fuses but I wasn’t able to find a good alternative solution. I ended up getting a BMS rated to what I needed and wiring it in full-time (not charge-only).

I know that’s not helpful but wanted to post my experience. Curious to see if anyone has a good solution.

1 Like

Crazy that lots of ppl are running automotive fuses. Might as well not have one.

1 Like

What about this type. I have found them on some online stores ave for a good assortment of amp ratings. https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Fuses-BF1-150A-piece/dp/B00HKIC864 I’m planning on using a 100A one for my dual setup

Have a look at type ANL fuses for Hi-Fi systems. Most of them are rated for 32V but you can get them with higher protection ratings.

I actually run an 50 amp automotive fuse from Littelfuse using their low profile J-Case products. Their Literature states its good up to 58 volts. I haven’t blown it yet. It is more important to choose the correct amperage of the fuse when it blows before stuff is damaged. Cost wise, this is comparable other replaceable fuses, but the J-case is way more convenient cause auto parts stores carry it.

I’ve had one of these blow on me, no arcing though. I run 10s. worked as expected.

Your BMS will provide over-current protection if you don’t bypass it. It is essentially a self-resetting fuse

These fuses are pretty legit. But they’re huge (so are the ANL fuses)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HDX3VH0/