Gathering Electronics from scratch

Also on a side note what is the average current going through a motor whilst cruising so I can calculate my rough battery life duration so I know what capacity lip to buy

an esc like this - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=77155 will it work?

People here usually recommend the hobbyking 150a or hobbywing xerun 150a. You could also use @torqueboards esc or the vesc which can handle up to a 12s Lipo.

Yep, @claudiofiore88 right, it also gives you more ‘room’ for upgrading your board for the long run. But its all up to you. Have fun and good luck

I have used plenty of the old HK 150A ESC’s and they were great, but unfortunately limited to 6S and no longer sold. I have bought a new X-car series that replaces them (in @noushi 's link above) but havent finished my hack board for testing yet. again its still limited to 6S.

I’m running the 150a xbeast on a dual motor board. They’re pretty much the same as the old HK 150a. Just as much brake noise, but they work good. Definitely buy the led program card if you get one of these.

interestingly enough the trackstar ESCs have a LOUDER breaking noise than the HK ones. I know right. the HK ESC’s are actually pretty quiet comparatively.

So either of the xbeast or hobbywing xerun/ezrun 150A car escs are recommended?

And also mccleod where do you find the hobbyking xbeast 150A esc? I can only find the 120A version from my original link And can a car esc actually brake a skateboard to a stop/very low speed? Or does it just slow you down slightly

Here is a link to the HK 150a: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__77145__HobbyKing_174_8482_X_Car_Beast_Series_ESC_1_8_Scale_150A.html

The brakes are pretty good on these.I usually set them from 80 - 100%.

I generally set my brakes to 50%. I find any more to be too much. Stop so quickly you land on your face.

Thanks for the replies Do you think the 120A HK car esc will be enough (as it is half the price of the 150A HK esc)?

Thanks for the replies @lowGuido and @mccloed and everyone else
Do you think the 120A HK car esc will be enough (as it is half the price of the 150A HK esc) to drive a single motor skateboard?

I have only ever used the 150A so i can’t comment on the 120A version.

I too have only used the 150a version. I do use the FVT 120a and it works just fine, so I’m assuming the X beast 120a should be fine also.

The 120a mamba monster worked really well.

1 Like

I second that @psychotiller

I absolutely love castle esc’s even if they are slightly more money.

They are definitely good quality. I am using the XL2 on my 8s board. Unfortunately, they do not have a sensored option.

1 Like

Hi Do you think a 120A boat esc will work as I have read (https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=52759) that they are quite good and better than car escs in terms of braking noise but im not sure if it will actually work properly?

If you read further you will find they don’t work well enough to deal with the hassle. I know it’s been said many times, but I’ll stay it again. Car esc!

ok thanks a lot. I think I will use the 120A HK Car ESC

1 Like