Gathering Electronics from scratch

Yes. that will work.

Yes. You’ll be looking at a 16-18mph top speed.

and do you (@lowGuido @psychotiller) think it is safe to buy a 5000Ah 30C 3s lipo. So the lipo can safely discharge 150A? or do i need a higher amp discharge?

30C is fine. I have used 20C, 30C, 35C, there is no noticeable difference.

I have found on average i discharge at 1C.

oh cool. but the C rating of a battery determines how much current can be drawn. Is 20C fine because the motor never draws above 100A? And a 120A esc is enough correct?

so thats about 5A average discharge on my 6S setup. I use a 150A ESC but many other people are using a 120A ESC with no dramas.

so your motor only ever draws 5A??? isn’t that low

Average. obviously it draws higher and lower. but average is 5A

woah ok. thanks a lot lowGuido. I really appreciate your help along with everybody else’s

I think the problem is that everyone gets caught up in numbers. particularly PEAK values. if you were to ask anyone here how long they skate for on one battery they would probably say 30 mins to an hour. (this obviously will differ with different peoples battery sizes etc.) if anyone was to discharge their battery at ~30C their skate would last a few MINUTES. (obviously again depending on batteries) I don’t think anyone draws that much current consistently.

but when the current does peak don’t you need to ensure the battery can supply a large enough current or else it will catch on fire? Or is the peak duration so short it doesn’t make much of a difference?

Are you going for a single or dual setup?

single motor (236kv) setup

I would go for a bigger motor just because its only $20 extra dollars but depends on how many Volts you are going to put through it.

im was going to use 6s lipo (22.2V) with the 236kV motor with 76mm wheels and a 12T:30T pulley ratio. Apparently it should go at 18mph

I dont have a need to go faster than 20mph and so I choose more torque

yh me too so isn’t a 236kV motor enough? How steep hills do you think it can go up?

I have heard that my 149 kv on 12S can go up 20% as a single

I have Lots of 10% hills and a few 15+

I really wish I had a way that I could measure the degree incline of the hill i take every day on the way home. these 149kv motors have just so much darn torque. 20% incline on a 15mm belt is nothing for these motors. fooorrr sssuuurreeee