Gear ratio belt length

How is the length of the belt determined? The Gear Reduction Ratio? Is it just that bigger gears need longer belts? https://www.bbman.com/belt-length-calculator/ How do I use this?

You have to know the diameter of both pulleys (or the teeth number and size) and the distance between the two pulleys. Changing either the diameter or the distance will change the belt length.

I had no problem using that calculator. Just click all the clickys that you know and it will spit out the length you need. Center to center also. On a side note, does anyone have any 280mm belts in the US…?

1 Like
2 Likes

VBS is my go-to. They even have weird ones like 390mm.

So I am correct in saying a larger gear rato means that their is a bigger belt. A smaller gear ratio wouldn’t have to have a as big of a belt.

Center Distance Designer

Not always. The key word is ratio. You could have a 20t and 40t gear, and that would be a smaller ratio than a 10t and a 30t, but the belt would be longer.

If you only change ONE pulley, and you make the pulley bigger, then the belt will be bigger.

I did that and I only got this Attribute Value Speed Ratio 0.39 Pitch Diameter - Large Pulley (A) (in) 5.730 Pitch Diameter - Small Pulley (B) (in) 2.228 Desired Belt Pitch Length (in) ? Next Available Belt Pitch Length (in) ? Next Available Number of Teeth - Belt ? Center Distance Using Next Available Belt (in)??? Teeth in Mesh

The question I need answering is Desired Center Distance (in)/ how do you figure that?

You need to input the center to center distance.

Use mm not inches as the belts are metric.

Do you have a mount to measure?

No.I don’t have a motor mount to measure. I know what it’s asking but the problem I have is I don’t know what center distance to use. That is the last thing I think I need.

What mount do you plan to use? Most mount sellers can tell you the belt length that works with their mount. Also, those diameters seem really large for esk8. Are you sure you picked the correct belt pitch?

?[quote=“MysticalDork, post:13, topic:37943, full:true”] What mount do you plan to use? Most mount sellers can tell you the belt length that works with their mount. Also, those diameters seem really large for esk8. Are you sure you picked the correct belt pitch? [/quote] I am going to build my own so this is why I need to figure this out. I know my gear ration 14/36, a .75 belt width and the pitch is L don’t quite understand the pitch thing.

Ahh, right. You need to pick a different belt type. The standard one most of us use is HTD 5mm. It’s under the metric selection.

That still doesn’t get the center distance.

Nope. But it gets you more realistic pulley diameters. Then you can make up your own center distance, since you’re making your own mount. Rule of thumb, shorter mount is better because stiffness. Go as short as you can and still be able to tighten the motor screws without taking the wheel off.

I designed my own mounts in a cad program so I could visualize the dimensions better.

First of all, change everything to metric, as all your components are metric.

And use the esk8 calculator to decide on your gearing if you haven’t already.

http://calc.esk8.it/#{“batt-type-lipo”:1,“batt-cells”:10,“motor-kv”:240,“system-efficiency”:95,“motor-pulley-teeth”:16,“wheel-pulley-teeth”:36,“wheel-size”:97}|

Then on the belt calculator page Pick a number (in mm) for your ctc (center to center) distance.

Try 75

Look at what the belt length is.

Adjust the ctc distance untill it’s right at the specific belt length you need.

Make your mount with same ctc distance and your golden.

Why are you so opposed to 14t/36t? isn’t like 16t/36t like pretty mainstream?