Gears vs chains...lets be honest

I really like how those motors are mounted! SO out of the way :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Itā€™s a belt drive.

oooopsā€¦i missed that info - how embarrassingā€¦ didnt intend any offenseā€¦

mea culpa!

1 Like

Can you show me how this works? It sounds very interesting!

Yeah the idler pullies make the belt engauge more teeth allowing you to run the belt very loose and the belt will not skip. Loose belt mean better free roll.

received_2240070916216390

No belt slipping or skipping under full throttle or full brakes.

2 Likes

Iā€™m confused! Are you saying the belt tensioner makes the belt looser allowing you to freewheel while also making it tighter which makes it skip less?

1 Like

Itā€™s not tensioner itā€™s an idler it keeps the more teeth.engauged doesnā€™t add tension.

It allows you to run the belt really loose with out the belt skipping.

1 Like

ā€¦back to topicā€¦

this is the first video IĀ“ve seen that demonstrates a gear drive by Jens Kappel (if youĀ“re a forum member - awesome video demonstrating a gear drive!)

I expected it to be louder than a belt or hub motor. I donĀ“t mind how it sounds at all ( though I can imagine that other people hoping to a quiet day in the forest may highly disagreeā€¦in this case it wont matter how much noise you are generating with your board. at this point, the mere presence of an esk8er will probably be enough to trigger a verbal argument.)

and yeah - I think i need a MTB! christmas is comingā€¦lol

impressive.

EDIT Just found another gear driveā€¦that is surprisingly ā€œsilentā€.

1 Like

He is here, @Nowind

2 Likes

thanks for the info!

@Nowind great vids and awesome hardware ! cudos!

1 Like

This debate has been brought up so many times now >.< . Is this the thread to end all threads?.. Ultimately the conclusion is always what the user prefers goes, no matter the pros and cons. 3ā€¦2ā€¦1ā€¦ sold

4 Likes

Gear drives are killing it at the race tracks. Chain/ nope not yet. Hub/ peaked out in second not much left in the tank. Belt/ numbers are there but needs some help. Here is the answerā€¦ Strong noisy low ratio square cut gears passing everything. For those of you who donā€™t like the noise. You will only have to listen to them for a moment. A nice audible to let you know itā€™s time to move over and make room. https://www.youtube.com/user/1958windsor

6 Likes

I donā€™t see the attraction of silence, if Lamborghini added a feature for near silence I doubt very much that would sell :slight_smile:

I love the sound from gearā€¦ so tie fighter :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Same for me. But thatā€™s like always personal preference. Iā€˜m happy that people walking on my way can hear me and not totally shocked when I pass them from behind

3 Likes

Gear sound is like protection because everybody is aware you are coming from behind, our in-gear are way louder than normal outer gear-drive and I donā€™t even need to horn or etc bicyclist go to the side the instant they hear me :smiley: Will be hard with 1:3 to get same effect in the roadsā€¦ I canā€™t even imagine riding with belts and not being angry all the time as no one is aware you are coming :confused:

5 Likes

Is it forbidden to develop new stuff and improve the product?

1 Like

Thatā€™s not what I meant. I meant you are one of the innovators flying under the radar and people donā€™t realize it. Sorry my wording was a bit of slang

1 Like

O.K. got it. There is more on the wayā€¦

4 Likes

ā€¦meaning that nobody raced with chains yet ? or that chains areĀ“nt winning vs belt and hubs?..

yeah, i second that - i got chains and i like the high pitch sound (yes, i called it sound cause i like it)

yes, second that too. exactly the same experience with my chain drive.

trueā€¦

Not enough gearing available for a chain drive. Uses up more Sq area. More rotating mass. I donā€™t see it working well for any performance application.

1 Like