General discussion of stretching/no stretching of belts

I bought a new set of motor mounts/pulleys/belts from a well known person on this forum. After trying like Hell to get the belt on with both idlers, I decided to try without them. Now I have one belt that has a lot of play in it and one that doesn’t. Belts can definitely stretch.

These ones don’t

How about we just say they shouldn’t, but they seem to 🤷

There’s evidence for both sides

I can attest to stretching, I had a 325 belt on a setup, moved it to one where a 335 was required as the smallest so I wouldn’t have slippage, and it fit like a glove.

1 Like

Someone needs to put a belt in a tensile axial test machine (is this the right name in English?) and plot the graph for tension vs displacement

Next semester I can see if they let me do it in my uni, the guy that works with it is generally very helpful

I’ve been running the same belts for almost 2 years(maybe more?). And I have ALOT of miles. Theyve never broken or come loose and I’ve never moved my motor(I’m at max adjust on my mounts so I know the center distance has stayed the same).

1 Like

I intentionally run a rather used belt alongside a rather new belt for this very reason.

1 Like