Genex's Build - Why so slow?

Yea, I am beginning to narrow things down. I am planning on getting a VESC eventually, which will give me my answer about my ESC. Then I plan on getting a SK3 6374 192kv or a 6364 213kv depending on what is in stock. If for some reason my motor is the issue, then the new ones will have FAR more torque and power. The 6374 192kv is rated for 2750 watts. Not bad.

Other than that, the only thing I could imagine being a problem is that my motor mount could be misaligned. It looks to be perfectly square, but I also wasn’t the one that welded it. Regardless, if those two things do not solve my issues, I will buy a motor mount from torque boards.

Im pretty sure it isn’t my batteries, as I have tried a different set of Venom batteries and they gave me the same results.

Just checking, but are you sure your batteries are joined in Series and not Parallel? A 3s battery with your setup should give the results you are getting

Yea, they are in series. I plugged just one battery in to be sure, and it ran at half the normal speed. Thanks for checking though.

Edit- I am changing my motor pulley to a 15T one right now since I have nothing better to do, so I will also change my wheel pulley to a 36T one. Back to the optimal ratio according to most. I will get back to you on my findings.

Double Edit- I lost my 15T pulley so we are just going to change the wheel pulley to 36T.

Triple Edit- Not much changed. Slightly lower top speed, slightly more torque. Going back to original setup. I am however a bit more confident in the idea that my motor mount is off 90 degrees. I think I am going to buy a clamp-on motor mount and a Caliber truck so I can get a perfect angle. To me this is just an experiment in finding out what could possibly be decreasing my power so much. With a 1.5:1 ratio I get a comfortable 16mph top speed, at the expense of torque. I am REALLY hooked onto this Esk8 thing and can’t imagine me dropping the hobby any time soon, so in time I will make this board a monster.

OK, UPDATE

I burned up my motor. I was out with some friends and I was pulling them (2 people) for like 2 miles and my motor got WAY to hot. I had done it before, but apparently we were going up a slight hill this time. Regardless, my 5065 236kv SK3 is pretty beat up. I am planning on replacing it, regardless of whether I can fix it or not. The stator wires don’t look like the covering got melted, but mabye it is in the middle. I’ll take it apart and look.

I am looking at a 63mm motor. I want to keep the single motor design since I am going to college and it will be too bulky with a dual setup. I do however want a 63mm motor because I would like more torque. I was looking at literally the only available 63mm on hobbyking rn, which is a 6374 149kv. BIG motor and LOW kv. Rated for 2250W with 8mm shaft.

My question is, is this going to be too low of a KV? With my current setup, I have to replace the motor pulley regardless because the shaft is 8mm, so I will have the option of changing my motor pulley to something different. I currently have a 20T/30T motor/wheel pulley which works with my current setup. I can change the wheel pulley to almost anything between 30-44 since it is 3d printed.

Did you end up figuring out this issue? I’m working on a similar build and my board is also only running 6-8mph.

Not really,

I switched the motor to a 6374 230kv motor rated for 3200 watts at 52V and it stills goes a slower than i’d like. Albeit, it has more torque, still no top end. I attribute it to my esc and assume I won’t be able to get around it until I switch to VESC and higher voltage. I get around 12-16 mph on flat ground with a 6s build. Motor and esc never even get warm.

I run a 20t to 34T gear ratio if that matters.

I also daily the board to and from class and it’s had the shit kicked out of it and it never stops kicking so i’m happy with the esc. I will enjoy higher speed and controlled braking in the future though.

That 20T motor pulley is waaaaaay to big. “Standard” is 15/36 and with 34T I would use 14T motor pulley. Use those calculators so you know what is wrong.

There is no standard when you DIY. Also there is nothing wrong with a 20T pulley, it just decreases torque to increase wheel rpm. I need top speed, not torque, since I run a 3300 watt motor. My motor can pull the board out from underneath anyone under 300 pounds at 24v, let alone 52v at a 20/34 ratio.

Are you suggesting a higher gear reduction would increase my top speed? lol

I know 20/34 is not a normal ratio, but it is what I use to get what I need. My ESC is duty cycle based, and thus lacks some top end speed. I counter this by lowering the gear reduction to gain back the top speed.

So tou run 6374 230kv motor with 6s battery, 20/34 ratio. What wheels you use? And van you link that esc?

I think that gear ratio is too heavy. You get hi speed but your torgue is so bad at top speed that it actually is slower than lighter ratio. For example 15/36 decent amount of torgue and speed with 80mm-90mm wheels.

You should use same settings as everyone else. Like 15/36 ratio, 80-90mm wheels, 12mm belt, 190kv/10s or 240/6s motor/battery