Gluing magnets into motor cover

Hi guys, I have a problem with an MT06374-ha-c motor. Magnets got loose and they are scraping inside the motor. I want to glue them back in. Is there any instructional vid I could use to do this? Or maybe some of you guys could tell me how to do it. I want to use J&B weld will it be ok? Thanks for any suggestions. Cheers.

1 Like

Nah superglue! (Donā€™t try this at home)

1 Like

Do you think I need to remove all the old glue? Or I can just put superglue it in the cracs for fast repair?

No donā€™t actually I was joking I have no idea how to repair

I would think superglue makes sense

Ask it here

Hahaā€¦not.

Hi temp epoxy

2 Likes

@andy87 input

1 Like

Donā€™t use jb weld there are metal parts in it which will move the glue along the magnets and worst on top of the magnet, which will hit the stator later if itā€™s too much.

Like @banjaxxed said, high temp epoxy or green loctite are a good option to glue the magnet back in. Just make sure you donā€™t switch the polarity when you take the magnet out. I would mark one side, so that you sure it will be the right direction when you place the magnet back.

3 Likes

Thank you man I will do that. Cheers!

1 Like

I bought this to battle harden but have not yet done the job

https://ie.farnell.com/mg-chemicals/9200-25ml/chemical-structural-adhesive-25ml/dp/2889759

The tech properties seem to lend well to magnet glueing

2 Likes

I use Epoxy to fit the magnet ring if it loose, and Loctite 680 or 638 to put the magnets in place (put some green stuff between the magnets and use your Dremel grabbing the shaft, centrifugal force will help to introduce the retaining compound in place, do it in both directions). I you mess with the magnets polarity like I did once, just download a free Magnometer app for your smart phone, you will see X, Y and Z; use the Y by pointing to the magnet (positive or negative numbers gives you your pole, usually 14 pole set up is NSNSNSNSā€¦). Live the bell to 24hr cure, then clean it, to take rests of sticky metal dust, use masking tape, to stick it to the tape. Hope it helpsā€¦

5 Likes

A good video and detailed info hereā€¦ https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/ice-crusher-16ply-holypro-4w-chain-drive-mtb-4x-6374-170kv-aps-quad-escape-steering-damper/65823/119?u=j95hicks

5 Likes

Thanks guys.

1 Like

Donā€™t put JB Weld on magnets ā€“ I found out the hard way it has actual steel in it.

3 Likes

Has anyone hardened your motors like on this vid? My are getting warm ( a lot) and it would be bummer to fry them. Is adding all the ā€œglueā€ safe?

Thats not my vid and I havent done it beforeā€¦ i just remember seeing and made a mental note in case i decided to try it. @Andy87 probably has more insight. I know you dont want magnets to get HOT(being you wouldnt want to touch for more than 10 seconds), i think warm is gonna happen. And as long as you have clearance for motor movement and hi temp glue that wont fall apart at motor running tempsā€¦ i cant think of any reason why it wouldnt be safe.

@DynaWit I didnā€™t experienced any temperature rise when battle harden the bell. Putting epoxy to the magnets shouldnā€™t influence that. If you battle harden the windings the motors can get more warm. Iā€˜m just in process of doing this on two motors, so I canā€™t say yet how much more warm they will get. Do you have a temperature sensor in your motor? What is the actual temperature on yours? Till 80 degree Celsius that shouldnā€™t be an issue as well.

1 Like

I dropped a magnet this morning on my quad,had to go home slowlyā€¦battle Harding time I think

The aps 6384?

Yes I havenā€™t pulled it apart yet to make sureā€¦but feels like it when I free wheel it