Going over options to connect two VESCs to remote

Actually the Benchwheel, while having double sets of pins for 2 ESCs, has 1 of the 5v pins cut as well. The pin is there, but supplies no voltage.

3 Likes

Thank you, I was curious about this!

Yes it can. I use one GT2B for to different boards.

2 Likes

Nice info thanks :slight_smile: Where do you buy extra receivers ?

https://www.amazon.com/FS-GR3E-Receiver-FS-GT2B-FS-GT3B-FS-GT3C/dp/B00IZUIHPM/ref=pd_sim_21_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00IZUIHPM&pd_rd_r=DGMQMFP3TDY7XREDQTMR&pd_rd_w=3MpRv&pd_rd_wg=GbKjW&psc=1&refRID=DGMQMFP3TDY7XREDQTMR

3 Likes

https://www.banggood.com/2_4GHz-Radio-Remote-Controller-Receiver-Transmitter-For-Electric-Skateboard-p-1125575.html?rmmds=search

Thanks guys. Ordered one more flysky rx.

seems @jinra is right, the top 3 pins has the 5v pin closed according to this pic of the included instructions.

The question now is whether I should cancel my orders and spend an extra 15 on a better looking remote :confounded:

[quote=“SeanHacker, post:23, topic:30484, full:true”] Yes it can. I use one GT2B for two different boards. [/quote] Thanks good to know! A dual receiver setup sounds like a good extra level of redundancy. Its almost like having a diversity receiver. The hobbyking spare GT2b receiver can be found here.

1 Like

Hey :slight_smile: It worked with no issues for me. I guess not that many people have benchwheel remotes so not many people tried it. Looks like that dual receiver option is pretty ideal though ! Best of luck with whichever one you end up going with

1 Like

Just to double verify - if I connect the 2nd VESC to the Benchwheel receiver, should I cut the 5v cable or I can leave it as it is?

Thanks.

I didnt know anything about this 5v pin. I just had both vescs plugged in as normal as an experiment and it worked. Mind you this was about October last year so the receiver may have changed. I lost my remote since then and chenged to the mini remote with the wheel on it. I think I prefer the bench wheel however.

Do not cut anything for the benchwheel.

1 Like

Glad I found this thread before I hooked up a CANBUS cable to my brand new FOCboxes! So I’ve read up on it a bit and I think I understand the danger with the canbus (if one vesc fails, they both do), but what’s the risk of the y-cable? Is it just the overpowering because of the two 5v sources, hence cutting one of the wires? With the canbus, aside from configuring wrong and designating one VESC the slave too early in the process, is there any actual risk?

I don’t think any user here reported an issue with y cable on v4 vesc. It just veder said it’s a bad idea with vesc 6.

With y cable you only need one wire PPM to the second vesc and both should be setup as master.

@High-roller Canbus works perfectly fine on 2wd. Canbus can be an issue when running 4wd.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reassurance. Still, I can’t help but worry, now that I know it can happen. Is there any real advantage to it over the y-cable? There are other ways to get real-time data and I don’t know how much of a difference having traction control makes. @Irdesigns what about the FOCbox, which is supposed to be somewhere in between? I think I read somewhere that it’s a sort of VESC 5…?

Telemetry via bluetooth can only be had for both VESC(s) if you use canbus. Traction control can only be had if you use canbus.

I am using the benchwheel so I can just plug both FOCBOX into the receiver. I plan to run a Bluetooth module on one FOCBOX for info. My enclosure is easy to remove so I can tune them without much trouble.

Edit: I do have a canbus cable on my workbench… maybe I should go with canbus… this is a tough decision!

1 Like

Let me know what you decide. I don’t want to lose two vescs because I didn’t connect a cable before naming them or something else equally trivial.