Howdy fellas! In a weird twist of events I just ordered a FOCBOX UNITY that’s supposed to act as a starting point for my very first DIY Esk8 project. Yeah, I know… Probably overkill for a rookie. But now that I’ll get it (whenever that’s gonna be…) I wanna make good use of it.
Plus, I’m eyeing a cheap stop-gap solution to carry me through the time until the Unity ships – possibly an ONAN X2 4WD. Nothing’s set in stone yet, though. Ideally, my stop-gap solution would accommodate the Unity and noticeably profit just from replacing its VESC already. But I have a hunch that I’ll probably get a better result by keeping these two things completely separate, no?!?
My Esk8 is gonna be used for casual fun rides predominantly at first but since the regulatory landscape in Germany is about to change in October fingers-crossed I wouldn’t wanna rule out a more frequent commute usage either. Thus, the option to change out wheels in order to add some limited offroad-capabilities later on would make a ton of sense. Afaict, that means I’ll have to go with a belt drive or direct drive solution. But I’m looking to build something BoostedBoard-esque, anyway. So that doesn’t bother me.
Adhoc-budget is a concern, overall-budget not so much. Which is to say that I’m willing to sink a good chunk of money into this project in order to create a fun, solid, and well-performing build. But I’d wanna build and extend it over time, rather than spending one big lump sum.
So, right now, my very vague game plan looks like this:
- stop-gap solution: ONAN X2 AWD on a Vanguard
- real deal: FOCBOX UNITY + 10s5p battery pack from diyeboards + single TB 6374 190kv motor + mechanical kit
- later on: extend that to a dual TB 6374 setup OR switch to a CarvonV4TorqueDrive
- Does this game plan make any sense to you, more experienced DIY-builders?
- Are those components even gonna play nice with the UNITY?
- Are those components making good use of UNITY’s capabilities?
- Do you know of any cheap-ish ONAN-X2-like complete set that would have it’s shortcomings drastically improved just by adding the UNITY?
Cheers and thanks from Berlin – David