I’m wrapping this one up very soon, just waiting on a few parts to show up. A customer wanted a commuter with a lot of torque for shit streets and gravel and packed dirt paths and possibly grass and cobblestone and various other bullshit that makes street wheels less than optimal but doesn’t quite enter the realm of juice sucking pneumatics. We settled on these crazy MBS 100mm wheels that seem to have taken the world by storm, or at least they can’t seem to keep them in stock. This is the first of three of these kinds of builds, but by far this one is the most unique as far as detailing. The decisions for color and detail were arrived at organically once we realized that these wheels only came in green at the time. We decided that yellow should probably go with green, then of course that reminded us of hornets and so then the whole bug thing happened, right down to the stinger like point on the tail of the WithcbladeAT deck shape i designed for these wheels.
So without further ado, i present The Green Hornet. Which also has yellow in it. A lot of yellow. And green.
First the deck shape. I know, me and my posterboard. I suck at cad and don’t have my xcarve set up for cutting out complete decks yet anyway, so its pencils and jigsaws for now.
got the deck pressed and cut out and laid on top of the trucks to see what we had. There’s a point on the tail. 36.5" from nose to stinger.
i put these packs together next, took all damn day to build these three, but we got it done. Dropped down to a smaller 60amp BMS because they just fit better in the box and i have a feeling noone was ever going to see a full 80 amps anyway, despite the pack being rated at 80 continuous.
Boxes from my box guy showed up so it was time to test placement and motor mount clearance before i fucked myself by drilling holes in the wrong places:
Ordered my robot minion to carve the channels for me…
… while i went back and chopped some trucks for those enertion pulleys.
Got the SK3s ready for motor pullleys with the dremel. I got myself a new reincorced cutting wheel so that the bowl in the “flat spot” had a nice radius to keep that grub screw in place but also deep enough so that the lip i left on the shaft would keep the pulley from flying off in the event that the grub backed out a little after a while of heavy use.
Then it was on to replacing those ugly phase leads with some nice yellow ones:
and then to get the drive trains assembled after stripping the blue anodize off of those mounts and replacing it with yellow enamel:
by now the minion had long since completed the channels so it was time to bring in the deck and start the detailing and lay in the wires:
aftr cetting the wires soldered in and building a tape wall and pouring in the resin, it was time to let that crap dry and go deal with the box. I cut the holes and took it out back to paint it. I gave it the old urban spray can treatment for that fade affect.
while the paint was curing on the box i went to work sanding down the cured resin and with a pencil and paint brush i did this to it:
so now it looks like it has hornet scales and once the glass was on it with the clear urethane we have this:
Internals are not yet assembled as i’m still waiting on parts, but the detailing and assembly was done as far as aesthetics, so here’s what we ended up with:
Its a mad beast. I’m going to swap out the wheels with some black ones i’ve designated for street testing so we’ll see how it handles the bullshit. I have plenty of bullshit to test it on, too. Hopefully it will take the grass and bricks and gravel and shit pretty well, but i won’t know for sure untill i get it out there.