Grip: Spray On vs Tape

Love your DIY creative solutions and professional follow through! And thanks for the info

also i don’t just do coke bottles. If another color of glass is more appropriate for the build, like the orange a blue Scarlet i’m building now, I’ll find different glass, like this SKYY vodka bottle:

10 Likes

My Arbor Axis clear grip is starting to come off. :frowning:

I like that center island you have built. Seems like a new addition.

thanks, i built it back in april i think. still not enough bench space, but the deal is my wife has to be able to park in the garage, so i’ve had to get really creative with layout. Right now my xcarve is on the back porch, but in a few months its going to be under that bench after i modify it to be longer and narrower so that it can cut out full decks.

we also have a new oven in the kitchen thanks to a memorial day sale so i have the old one in the garage waiting for a 220 line to be dropped off the breaker panel so i can start cooking plastic and get back to trying to make my own ABS enclosures.

2 Likes

the spray on grip taped dose not seem to hold up as well as normal grip.

how long was it on there?

In comparison, a board i glassed back in april using the bottle glass/polyurethane technique i still use still looks practically new when you stand it up and hose it off.

1 Like

Have you ever tried to refresh the liquid grip after some wear? Any issues?

As soon as i was done the grip started to fall off. I expected that to happen for a couple rides but it never stoped.

Anyone tried truck bed coating?

the way i do mine is like this: brush on polyurethane but only a small area myabe 6" square; as evenly as possible sprinkle in grit; repeat until entire board is glassed; after maybe 30 minutes apply top coat with a dabbing (or stabbing!) motion (i use a foam brush); after another 30 minutes or so do a second top coat; let dry overnight and in the morning run your fingers or a brush down it to brush off any loose grains that didn’t coat well.

to remove it you’ll need an orbital sander and about 10 sanding disks. You may also have luck with a heat gun and a paint scraper. I’ve been lucky so far and have only had to re-do one board and the sander did the trick, so i haven’t had the opportunity to try the heat gun trick yet but it probably works.

1 Like

See I used a kit from online and it constant came off and the glass dust got every where.

I’m gonna have to try this. I have a bunch of customers that use one of our castable 95A clear polyurethanes for bonding glass panels (essentially making sudo shatter resistant glass panels) and has enough body (in terms of viscosity) to hold lots of glass. https://bjbenterprises.com/index.php/polyurethanes/castable/flexible/water-clear/wc-595-a-b-449/

Hi, I don’t built electric boards, but I did start surf skating recently and I’ve been getting increasingly DIY with my set-ups.

My latest deck is a cheap unvarnished maple wood piece I got online, and I thought I should paint it, so I did. But now I’m sure about what kind of finishing I should apply.

At first, I’d only painted the underside of the deck, so I was pretty sure that art resin would be enough, but after reading up more, I thought it might be better to put art resin over the painting first, then a layer of water based polyurethane gloss varnish on both the under and topside to protect it from water, and my plan was to grip the top.

But then I also painted the top, and now im thinking art resin the whole thing, followed by polyurethane varnish, and then lucid grip spray on top?

But now that I’ve read this, I’m thinking I could go a sand spray / recycled glass spray together with the polyurethane? Is that enough?

16227863508341188686279971933909|666x500

IMG_20210603_185611|375x500

What do yall think?

Glass frit and epoxy?

Like this https://bit.ly/3piIN6h

that’s some nice art

Based on my experience Grip Tape works better especially on high speeds I have much more comfortable feeling comparing to Spay On Grip