GX-wheel - dual motor from China

Hi,

Jayson from Singapore and this is my first time to post.

I just bought a new skateboard from China (taobao.com) for USD 330 (170 USD shipping) This link is from alibaba but the same board: Similar from Alibaba

• dual motor with VESC (they said but haven’t opened the board yet)
  • 6S battery

It comes with this controller

And this is the board

Now, my concerns are

• controller is very sensitive
  • doesn’t have an eco mode/slow mode
  • stutters when starting from idle even though it is a dual motor
  • on slow speed, only one wheel turns and the other wheel stutters

I expect that the board will be not as good as the branded ones but not this kind of problems. I’ve also thought of making a DIY electric skateboard out of this just in case it comes to worst

for that price, dual vesc… seems pretty descent!

for that stuttering, i’m sure tweaking the settings in the BLDC can solve that

I’m hesitant to open it since I don’t have the tools. Its been long since I worked these type of DIY hobbies.

Also, i don’t see any visible screws so I think I have to remove the grip tape.

Sounds likes its to Good to be true and those things doesnt exist

I think that trucks hold it in place. Try to remove them before griptape. I personally don’t believe that there is anything like vescs.

@jaysoncena so in total it cost 500usd anyways right?

Or there was some other costs too?

The design and the integrated lights actually do look really nice.

About the motors itself - but does it cause any problems when you ride the board? Does the stuttering to one side happen a lot or it goes away very quickly?

Checked out the alibaba site:

not sure what is the ‘‘retail price’’ but 55$ for another vesc, belt, motor mount and pulleys… doesnt sound bad at all :smiley:

@jaysoncena u should really open up the box to let us know is there a vesc inside! The component price does seem to be a bit low but I read their ‘‘documentation’’ and they answer to questions quite honestly so im not sure would they so ‘‘blatantly’’ lie about vesc being inside of their boards…

so im really curious to find this out…

Also @jaysoncena do you live in the states or elsewhere… u said u ordered through taobao, so how did you organise the shipping? Did the seller offer it straight away as international one and u didnt need to put any extra effort in making it happen?

1 Like

Hey @jaysoncena. I am from Singapore too. Do you need any help for you board? For your problem might need to check all the connector is it connect properly or not. The motor mount look nice.

Now, reading my post, I got confused with the amount as well :grin:

• Board = 330 USD
  • 2 x VESC = 48 USD
  • Shipping = 170 USD
  • Total = 548 USD

@Okami ^

About the motors itself - but does it cause any problems when you ride the board? Does the stuttering to one side happen a lot or it goes away very quickly?

For the lights, its blue, bright and it have on front and back. When you brake, the light on the back will turn on but it doesn’t have the option to disable it. I only want it during night time.

On the motors, it always stutters even when I’m on the board but only during takeoff. It will be gone once you accelerate. The stuttering is not that bad or at least it doesn’t push me off the board.

@jaysoncena u should really open up the box to let us know is there a vesc inside! The component price does seem to be a bit low but I read their ‘‘documentation’’ and they answer to questions quite honestly so im not sure would they so ‘‘blatantly’’ lie about vesc being inside of their boards…

It has a similar setup as benchwheel. Looking at the video below, if I disassemble it, I don’t think I’ll be able to put it back easily but I’ll try. I’m going to use this board for parts anyway since I don’t like going fast but this board accelerates very easily. Controller is very sensitive.

Also @jaysoncena do you live in the states or elsewhere… u said u ordered through taobao, so how did you organise the shipping? Did the seller offer it straight away as international one and u didnt need to put any extra effort in making it happen? I live in Singapore and we have a lot of forwarders here for taobao. Forwarder charged me 170 USD including all handling fee and shipping.

@jaysoncena thanks for the answers!

Yes, it does look similar to benchwheel… though from the video I didnt get the idea what controller bencwheel uses, though im not sure do they also advertise that they use the vesc (benchweel)

If it cost 170usd to Singapore… then I assume Eu/US folks would get way higher shipping cost, if anyone decided to ship directly with this mail… probably better off waiting for some amazon guys doing large shipments of these and then paying the same price locally where the container guys get the rest :smiley:

Hey @benwong - yeah, I’ll spend some time disassembling this. Unfortunately, I don’t have any tools right now and I’m afraid that I can’t put it back. Also, I’m thinking of tweaking the settings in BDLC and see if I can remove the stuttering.

3 Likes