Hall sensors 5 wires vs 6 wires

I accidentally pulled out the red wire from the Hall sensor harness on my Evolve Carbon GT, and I am trying to figure out how to fix. Evolve sells the harness for $5 and probably $15 shipping. I know I could get a 100 of these for that and Id rather not give them my business.

Anyways I am trying to figure out if I can just reattach the one wire to the harness or if I need to cut all the wires and solder a new harness on there?

All of the replacement harnesses I can find have a different wire pattern. I know @Brad said only the red and black wires matter the order. However all the replacements seem to be Blue|Green|Yellow|Black|Red vs the Evolve one that is Black|Yellow|White|Blue|Red. I can’t seem to find any that have Black and Red on the ends.

All help appreciated

1 Like

You can just ignore the colour on the replacement harness cos it will have to plug into the PCB on your Evolve board and the colour order on the PCB is still the same.

So if that is the case, you can just reattach black into blue as blue will just go into black on the PCB board inside the enclosure.

That way black(blue as the new ground) is still first and red is still last (same as Evolve setup) and middle colours does not matter.

I hope I understood you right :slight_smile:

Hi Brad , can you tell where you bought all those connectors ?

I bought them off Ebay. You can also buy off Aliexpress.

If you want easy way to connect to JST-PH for hall sensors, you can just get an adapter from Pyscotiller or Torqueboard or Unik.

3 Likes

Hi. Just found this post after I’d almost given up on my troubleshooting. Hadn’t yet seen anyone tinkering with the evolve wiring… I bought two replacement racestar motors for my bamboo GT. Thought it’d be plug and play, but one of the motors spins in the opposite direction when mounted. Everyone had been saying to change two of the phase wires around but these wires have different connectors (the triangle 3pin plug). So if I can manage to re-solder two of these wires around it should in theory, reverse the direction yes?

1 Like

that´s correct

It seems I have a similar problem: I would like to connect the hall sensor cables from this direct drive motor to this Trampa VESC.

The hall sensor cable from the direct motor has five colors: black; green; yellow; blue; red

The Trampa VESC has 6 connections: V+; Temp; H1; H2; H3; GND

To which ports on the VESC does black, green, yellow, blue, and red from the motors connect to?

Thanks a lot for your help (from an esk8 novice)!

I learned that the outer wires are positive and negative current. Should be also the case with your hub motors. Then you got the temp sensor which in your case might be absent. The rest doesn’t matter where they connect to. V+ is positive and gnd is ground (negative). Maybe you just need to skip the temp sensor and connect the rest as indicated. Trampa sells the 6-strand connectors but you can also get them anywhere else I suppose.

1 Like

Having the same issue mate, just that I have to find that out for 6 wires… hope someone knows and replies in here! :slight_smile:

Thanks so much! I hopefully assume correctly:

(1)

red = GND [wrong!]
black = V+ [wrong!]

… and this is all I need to know!

(2)

white = Temperature sensor - this one seems to be missing.

(3)

green = H1
yellow = H2
blue = H3

Here it does not matter whether H1 on the motor also corresponds to H1 or instead to H2 or H3 on the VESC etc.

Thus, will get a new 6 pin JST connector and pay attention that V+ and GND are connected correctly from the motors to the VESC. This should work without soldering, right? Unfortunately, I do not know how to do that …

I assume you are not assuming correctly. Normally positive is red and black is negative. What you can’t do or don’t know you will have to learn in order to complete your board. You either have to crimp the connector or solder them.

1 Like

Hey @Hans_maier I do think @Doneone is correct.

Here in this post I found the pinout of an APS motor: https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/aps-motor-sensor-extansion/66451

It would be very irritating if they switch around positive (normaly red) and negative (normaly black).

This is what I soldered now for, hoping to get an final clarification answer from the manufacturer soon.

Before that clarification, I rather not connect anything electrically up. Just in case… this topic is extremely confusing all over the forum to be honest.

• Rob
1 Like

@Doneone and @Supervolant Thanks a lot for mentioning!! I got it wrong:

red = +5V
black = GND

Pictures is this post https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/motor-sensor-plug-doesnt-fit-on-vesc-solved/22984/36?u=hans_maier are somewhat confusing; however, it is mentioned correctly in the text.

You can do it!

:slight_smile: Appreciate your help!

1 Like

Ok, I just changed the JST connector from a 5 to a 6 pin leaving out TEMP.

Luckily, I did not have to re-crimp the cables for that. However, after doing so I soon realized that together with the connector the cables will probably not pass through the holes in the enclosure :wink: , unless I make them super-large which I do not intend to … currently, still waiting for the battery and enclosure to arrive. Thanks again for your help!

I’m in the same boat. I wired everything up and left the temp sensor wire disconnected but it’s obviously preventing it from running. Is there a way to bypass the wire? (Like, just a guess but… shorting it to ground?)

Did you ever get this solved?

No i have not. Any ideas or points in the right direction? Sorry for the late reply (new phone)

I’m in the same boat. I wired everything up and left the temp sensor wire disconnected but it’s obviously preventing it from running. Is there a way to bypass the wire? (Like, just a guess but… shorting it to ground?)