Has anyone here tried using a gearbox/transmission on a belt and pulley eskateboard?

I have a boosted 1 and a evolve gt bamboo. In the boosted there was a grinding noise out of both motors(they replace both for free and had the board back to me in less than a week). The GT motors separated at the seems then made noise then locked up on me frying the motor controller. They sent me two new motors and a controller for free and I replaced the parts. I never found out what failed in all of those cases but I think it was braking down hill a lot and I mean sf a lot.

While I agree with you I do think multiple speed gearboxes if done correctly with strong materials would give worth while benefits. If an electric car uses a transmission I don’t see why an eboard couldn’t if using strong materials.

I think the most benefit would come for people with lots of hills and especially very steep ones… on the second hand, probably the minority of eboard users have such hills everyday

I am not saying one way or the other if I think this will work, but…

The basic tenet that all engineers have to learn over and over and over again is that correlation does not imply causation.

This also fall under the science category.

You are right that correlation doesn’t imply causation however, my point is that you shouldn’t rule out it being possible just because it hasn’t been done before. I’m saying they are so similar in how they function that I don’t see why people aren’t trying something similar because it already works on a larger scale.

I totally dig what your saying. I encourage you to try everything…hell, put bananas in it and see what happens :slight_smile:. All I am saying is that because it works on something, that doesn’t mean it will work here, even if the platforms are similar.

Also, you gotta look at the law of diminishing returns. Im not talking about cost, Im talking about energy (which is a kind of cost, just not $$$). How much power/current is it going to take to operate it.

Just tossing ideas is all.