Has it finally been figured out? 1 motor 2wd

Here’s one for the Carvon owners…

If you had the extra motor at the rear…and it did not have brakes…would the dual hub motors be able to slow you down enough?

Just as a guess…I would assume if the rear dual was just a pusher and coaster (I’m guessing) …the dual motors would enough to stop you…

Ok GO!

Edit Additional thoughts:

Hence my thought this will not be sold as a single unit…it must be paired with the regular Carvons…because these are not intended to stop you…Just push and coast

From Carvon Facebook:

No LSD, but it has one-way bearings inside the motor pulleys, allowing for freewheel and the outside wheel to go faster than the inside for proper turning. That also means it can’t brake. But the Dual Hub motors in front takes care of that. Basically, it provides torque at low speeds and disengages at higher speeds. It gives the board the torque needed to climb hills and coasting/top-speed of the hub motors.

2 Likes

any pictures of this setup? I’m intrigued

Ohh …I didn’t even read that and I got it right :+1:t2:

I just saw a picture in another thread. gee, its a a pretty complicated setup. I can only imagine it would be noisy?? still props for doing it first!

I’m struggling to understand how this is better than a dual belt driven board. With dual hubs up front it wouldn’t be lighter, unlikely to climb or stop better, I guess it could have a higher top end, but so what. Maybe I’m missing something…

3 Likes

Please explain. Source ? How can it brake if you’re able to ‘freewheel’ each wheel ?

just because it could be done.

it is by no means more economically viable, but everyone always wants to power 2 wheels from 1 motor.

thought it seemed like a little DIY experimentation. Nothing wrong with that.

It’s not an experiment he’s full one gonna sell this board …

I don’t think he’s done just yet :wink:

Its actually a novel way to get a 4x4 without 4 times the cost.

I have a board with all terrain pneumos, one wheel drive kinda sucks when carving.

Now that the capability to drive the wheels has been established, the next (equally important) question is how you stop them.

Based on the discussion and video, and to keep cost down, I think the simplest solution would be mechanical brakes. If memory serves correctly, this is something that @Brakeboard proposed (for reference, I have not used his brake systems).

Correct me if I am wrong, but if you have a system to apply mechanical brakes, this may in turn allow for a greater variety of speed controllers, potentially plane escs as they would theoretically not need to a braking function programmed in.

What do you guys think? Food for thought…

4 Likes

I think we’re trying to find ways to like this configuration even though it has obvious drawbacks. It doesn’t really add anything useful IMO. Mechanical brakes ? Too complicated.

2 Likes

Wish I still worked at a machine shop and had all the equipment to try some stuff out. Would be an interesting project to try and stuff a 1/5 scale rc differential inside the stator of an 80100 motor.

1 Like

I think that’s the key…

The simpler the better …less failure points

1 Like

Brakes are simple and effectively as easy if not easier to mount than a pully/ motor/motormount.

I think that drive is meant to go with his complete build. Which will have two hub motors in the front. The hub motors will handle braking, reverse, and speed while the belt drive will handle torque for hills.

I don’t think this drive will be meant to to be used on it’s own.

This is speculation on just the video and the teaser picture.

How much of a problem would a locked “differential” be? longboards dont have the wheel width of a car…

I looked at driving both rear wheels with a single SK3 6374 motor. However, I ultimately came to the conclusion that you would need a differential since the wheels would be spinning at different rates during a turn.

The other possible solution would be to run a RKP style truck on a 0° baseplate in rear, such that the kingpin is vertical. This truck would lean but not turn, so there would no longer be a need for a differential. Low angle rear trucks are common in speedboarding since it makes the rear track the front, much like a race car. (Rarely are they set at 0° though, usually more in the 15-30° range)