Have a potential supplier of the new Samsung 30T 21700 cells

I would love to see that spreadsheet. Care to share it?

1 Like

Wonā€™t let me upload spreadsheets (ods files) here; says photos only

Theyā€™re calling the Sanyo NCR20700A a ā€œhigh current cellā€ but the only rating I can find is 6A and thatā€™s from 2008. And I donā€™t know where to even buy it

The 48Gā€™s claim to fame would be ā€œgrams per amphourā€ if not for the LG MJ1 being better for that metric. The 48G doesnā€™t seem to offer any benefits to esk8.

Stick with 30Q for 3P to 6P, and 35E for 7P or more

30T make sense for 2P only

edit: this info is out-of-date now, beware

1 Like

Good thing I manage to figure out that level status. Imma get these cells when they release cause I need to drop from 24 cells to 50 cells. I know Iā€™ll get shafted for capacity for a 12S2P configuration.

1 Like

So Brian, for my 44" inch Mauna Super Cruiser, long range around the bay, and San Francisco Hills, the 35E will be the best battery option?

2 Likes

definitely not.

the 35e has continuous discharge of 8a, maybe 10a. even if you build a 4 or 5p pack, you pack discharge will be limited to 40, maybe 50a pushing it.

going up hills, especially going from a stop up a hill, demands the highest current draw. limiting your current delivery to 50a, which would be 25a per motor in a dual setup, may not be enough.

in comparison, the 30q in a 4p pack would have 80a continuous, or 40a per motor in a dual setup.

2 Likes

You forget the diference between battery and motor current, you can easily start on a hill with 40A, if you use 80A on each motor you can keep that up to 25% duty cycle, at 50% you are down to 40A on each motor, you will not climb the hill at top speed for sure since duty cycle can be roughly linear with % of top speed

1 Like

I understand, the comparison I was making is for the cells. yes, the 35e has a larger capacity but is less performing. for that same price bracket why under power your board, especially in high power demand builds.

also, in dual the 35e in a 4p, thatā€™d make it 20a batt max per motor

2 Likes

Not unless youā€™ll be running at least 7P deep, no. At 3P to 6P, the 30Q looks better. At 2P, VTC6 looks better.

Unless you have some unique space restraints (which you might) that limit you to certain numbers of either 18650 or 21700 or 20700 cells, Iā€™d use 30Q

1 Like

Brian, I was thinking 10S5Pā€¦so according to you, that falls into the 30Q,

ā€¦and according to Joeā€¦

in comparison, the 30q in a 4p pack would have 80a continuous, or 40a per motor in a dual setup.

ā€¦that cell also fit my motoringā€¦

1 Like

I have a question that has probably been asked but Iā€™d like some fresh responses since we have some new much better performing cells available now.

So as it was pointed out earlier, some cells are good for a small pack, other for a large pack, some for their high discharge ability, others for their range, and so onā€¦ SOā€¦ is it possible to create day a pack with equal quantities of battery cells? Like a 12s2p Samsung 30T +12s2p Samsung 30Q +12s2p Sanyo 20700A/B

12s6p with mixed mAh, discharge rates, Amps, etcā€¦

Iā€™m sure this is probably possible, but itā€™s it practical or a good idea at all?

I imagine it is much simpler using the pack than charging it since some of the batteries have different capacities etc, but if you were to wire each type of battery as itā€™s own so each one can be charged individually, and then be able to combine them to make a 12s6 battery so you have all the positive benefits from each, and then hopefully where each battery is lacking, another battery pack would be able to cover that area, thus creating a battery pack with only pros and the only con being the extra work youā€™d have to do to charge them separately and then reconnecting them back up, which really would not be difficult at allā€¦ So is this a good idea, had anyone tried anything like this before? Or is there something Iā€™m missing that makes this is not impossible, nearly impossible?

Have you tested any of these cells??? Please donā€™t make suggestions based on datasheets of cells youā€™ve never used. Thatā€™s how esk8 ended up with using 25Rs in the first place.

I suggest looking up why itā€™s a bad idea to mix cells

Bad idea man and thereā€™s quite a few reasons but simply put some cells have different capacity and discharge so imagine having a 3000 mah and 2500mah cell of course you will run the 2500mah cell down before the 3000mah, thatā€™s not including potential problems with cell chemistry and other reasons

1 Like

Got it, thanks for the explanation!

Nope; research for my own purposes. Currently in the process of testing it. Iā€™d appreciate if you offered constructive criticism instead of destructive criticism. I could just as easily not say a word and keep this information to myself. Please let us know your test results!

4 Likes

I cannot share my test results as they are work related. I can tell you that reading datasheets wrong can lead to big issuesā€¦:

Official specifications: Standard discharge capacity: min. 3000mAh (1.5A charge 0.1A cut-off, 0.6A discharge, 2.5V cut-off) Rated discharge capacity: min. 2650mAh (4A charge 0.1A cut-off, 10A discharge, 2.5V cut-off) Nominal voltage: 3.6V Charge voltage: 4.2V Standard charge: 1.5A charge 0.1A cut-off Rated charge: 4A charge 0.1A cut-off Max. continuoys discharge: 35A at 25Ā°C Discharge cut-off voltage: 2.5V Cycle life: 250 cycles to 60% at 35A discharge. Cell weight: 69.0g max Cell dimension: Height: Max: 70.40mm, Diamter: max. 21.22mm Operating temperature (surface): Charge 0Ā°C ~ 50Ā°C (Recommended <45Ā°C), Discharge -20CĀ° ~ 80Ā°C (Recommended <60Ā°C) Storage temperature: 1 month: -20Ā°C ~ 60Ā°C, 3 months: -20Ā°C ~ 45Ā°C, 1 year: -20Ā°C ~ 25Ā°C

Iā€™m always looking at charge cycles (for true cost calculations) and max charge rate, for brakes (hub motorsā€¦). Weird numbers! I guess the specā€™ed cycle life is at a bananas discharge rate, probably quite a bit better at 10-20a.

If these 2 numbers were better, itā€™d sit nicely between 30q and A123.

Thatā€™s the problem, they donā€™tā€¦ At least, not with out sagging from 4.2 down to 3.2 voltsā€¦

These cells are good because unlike at only 15 amps per cell, the 30q goes to 2.65 Ah, while the 30T still goes to 3 Ah.

I donā€™t use 18650ā€™s cause I canā€™t get enough power from them. Unless I do a 12s6p, 18650s donā€™t deliver enough power for my 4wd boards. And my board is already 25 pounds with a lipo equivalent to a 12s3p.

So in my case, this cell is much needed.

Also, if you wanted a small, lightweight board with some power still, you can do 12s1p and 12s2p configs and still deliver ok acceleration.