Having issues with an Enertion Focbox, not sure how to proceed

Hi there,

In my effort to dive into the VSEC world, I picked up a Focbox and tried connecting it to my hardware (10s battery, 260kv motor (links at the bottom)). When configuring the Focbox through the provided BLDC_Tool, I would get “Bad Detection Result Received” whenever trying to “Start Detection” in the BLDC side tab. I contacted Enertion support, had one of their guys remotely connect into my computer to try the same detection (at one of his later attempts, the focbox sparked up when he tried it). He then told me that the Focbox should still work (because he was still able to connect to it), but that I needed a new motor because 260kV was too high. I picked up a 190kv motor ( collections/electric-skateboard-motors/products/electric-skateboard-motor-6374-190kv-3150w ) and I am now trying the same detection process, though getting the same bad detection results. I contacted Enertion again, but this time they don’t want to help, referring me to here.

So basically my question is, what should I do? I’m getting a bad feeling that the Focbox fried when the Enertion support guy tried the detection earlier. I should also mention that the Focbox gets really hot when idle, even though I’ve never even run a motor though it. I don’t remember whether this occurred before it sparked. Enertion isn’t giving replies to any of these issues, so any help would really be appreciated.

(In case it’s relevant, the battery I’m using is two of these in series: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-5000mah-5s-20c-lipo-pack.html and the OLD motor I had (that was connected when the support guy ran the detections is: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-aerodrive-sk3-6354-260kv-brushless-outrunner-motor.html )

Type faults in terminal tab after trying detection, If its getting hot while idle there’s likely damage

Typing “faults” into terminal after a failed detection just gives

No faults registered since startup

Do detection and watch real-time tab, see what happens there

It doesn’t seem to be changing anything at all. Current stays at 0, Current In hangs around -0.06, Duty Cycle about the same. Temperatures still staying high at around 50C, and RPM also stays at 0 throughout. In the stats below, these stay pretty much the same throughout the detection as well. Power: 0.0W Duty Cycle: ~0.3% Electrical Speed 0.0rpm Battery current: ~0.06 A MOSFET temp: ~50C Fault Code: DRV8302 … Drawn cap/Charged cap/Drawn energy/Charged energy: All zero Tacho & Tacho ABS: 5 counts Battery Voltage: ~38V

There yah go

Alright, I’m assuming that fault code is usually a sure sign that it’s fried? Thanks for the help though!

I’ll look into your case for you pm me your info :slight_smile:

1 Like