Heatsinks on vesc is useless!

I was just reading adding heatsinks to the top of the fets almost does nothing. According to Rew:

"Yes. Note that cooling the “top” of the fets (the side you can see without desoldering) is useless. I’ve found a datasheet that mentions 10x the thermal resistance to that side of the case than to the side that you’re planning on cooling. Note that the high-side-FET drains are all connected to “VMOT”. So you can easily solder all three of them to a big copper plate (connect to VMOT as well!) and a heatsink.

On the other side, the three drains are connected to the motor phases. So you’d need an L-shaped copper conductor and then an insulated heatsink on that. Consider: There is also the IRFP7530. The problem is that it is a lot bigger: TO247."

Also the temp sensors aren’t really on the fets just nearby and there’s really only one sensor for all the fets for now

Common misconception… I suggest you do some real world testing. While not ideal, they do indeed help dissipate heat away from the mosfets.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say useless, it does help a lot. Just not optimal.

Heatsink on VESC is not useless! makes it more bling bling

8 Likes

I showed you real world tests hummie… I have one right now with a heatsink and one with out (both chakas). The one with the heat sink draws more amps than the one without the heatsink. They both get to about the same temperature, but the one with the heatsink cools quicker, and thus can pull more amps than the one without the heatsink.

Without heatsinks, I had heating issues with my carvons. With heatsinks, the heating issues went away. My real world tests show me that the heatsinks do have a positive effect of dissipating heat.

2 Likes

I haven’t done any tests and I never get too hot but I thought it was worth noting what the resident expert on vedder’s site said given so many people have problems. i know they have a plastic case and it’s hard to really get to the source of the heat.

I think some people try to mask actual problems by adding heatsinks. I dont think it’s to say heatsinks are useless, but rather they’re not always the best way to solve a heat issue.

1 Like

Do they make so much heat that they need venting or can you use a air/waterproof case?

In my experience they can be pretty well contained but others have had problems and need to add heatsinks and get better airflow.
I’m not saying a heatsink on the top does nothing just bringing a point of view from someone who knows a lot and we could maybe further benefit from what he’s saying

I’m abit new to VESCs but do you think the voltage is a game changer as the higher the voltage the lower the amp draw?

For the same amount of work yes but mostly we are using more voltage for more work

Yep - totally a game changer - higher voltage = lower amps! But not one VESC or anything hardware has to do with.

This is something I have been intending to create once our mill is up an running. It will be interesting to see if it increases the capability of the VESC with a more direct connection to the base of the fets.

4 Likes

I think a low amp, high voltage system likely dose not need heatsinks if the motor/gearing is efficient. I needed them, because they way I was running my carvons was not efficient, I never got close to 85% of my no load speed, as that would be way too fast. With your motors even @Hummie, the heat sinks had a positive effect. You never had issues because you have good airflow i.e. they are duct tapped to the bottom of your board. But if you enclose them, they will get hot.

good to know. I may have a carvon build in the pipe.

actually theyre pretty contained in bubble wrap and tape these days and cant be seen. wish my batteries were as well as they’re all dying from shrapnel again.

the no-load speed is constantly changing based on your throttle and what percent it sends to the motor of the battery voltage and if your motors are big enough and the load not too big they will be near it. the carvon are big and you probably were. I think more the reason carvon get the vesc hot is because theyre such high kv it takes more amps for them to create torque.

but you get the v2.5? the lower kv should run fine, speaking from experience

Its coming back to me now why I abandoned the custom heat sink. I didn’t want such a large positive terminal exposed in my system. :confused:

3 Likes

Is there a non conductive material that could still be used to dissipate heat or at least as a transitional material to the heat sink?

i think heat and electricity conductibility go pretty hand in hand except for some fancy pastes and silicones.

chaka is that dangerous is that why you dont want that? to touch? what on the board is dangerous to touch at 12s? Have you touched 12s!? I mean possibly shorted across something with 50v. had your body in circuit with that and you dont zing