Heavy Duty Decks for Large Guys?

Send @treenutter a PM. I would guess he could make a deck with an extra ply or 2. He’s the guy that owns, operates and creates (with limited god like powers) Red Ember Boards. I just say limited to keep his head from getting to big :grinning:

2 Likes

Does 100kg+ qualify as a large guy?

I’m working on my build right now and with my weight of 105 kg I was also wondering what decks could work with me.

While everyone above seems to talk a lot about some expensive looking stuff I wanted to recommend some fair priced stuff.

Many of the recommendations were maple decks, and I just got mine today, they work brilliant with near no flex!

Obviously I’m not 145kg but I do recommend at least trying maple decks out from local board stores. My near board store actually allows people to test their decks and thats what I did (carefully though, making sure it won’t break or anything) and turned out that maple decks seemed to be perfect for me.

This is what I have if you were wondering.

I had noticed skateshred.com and skateblanks.com, they are very good at stating both weight limits and layup. They also offer a good variety of finishes.

According to their site many of their decks are rated to 320 or 350lbs. I am just unsure how much to trust these ratings from a brandless boardhouse.

1 Like

Have a loock at Jet boards. They have multiple options in varius sizes. I would recomend the “jet vulcann kick 37’7” in the size wou would want. Used it as a freeride ride, was super solid. Concave is responsive yet comfortable enough for an esk8. Built my carvon board with it and honestly so far my favourite deck for esk8’s out of the 20+ I own.

PLUS it is light on your wallet.

1 Like

i just sent a 220 pound guy a 4wd build and he was doing 37mph on it with another 15 pounds of backpack and crap.

9 ply rock maple man. Nothing like it. Its been working in skate decks for heavy dudes since there have been skate decks and heavy dudes. I don’t have any specific reccomendations but that’s the general construction you’ll probably want. The ones suggested above seem like good candidates.

3 Likes

I concur 9 ply rock maple ftw

It’s all about the rock maple!

On a semi related note i had my first e-skate experience today :grin:

Upon hearing that i was building a board one of my friends decided to finally give in and ordered a boosted board (something he wanted to do for a while). This arrived today so we decided to see how well it would handle a 150kg user. It was the Dual+ version and i thought id share my first impressions with you and any other big guys that may be reading this in the future.

1. The deck has FLEX. It was bouncier than my friend was expecting and i feared even getting on it (but he insisted). I ended up standing very close to the trucks (legs spread) but once i was on it was fine. This meant i didn’t have as much turning authority as im used to but that is ok for a test ride.

2. It was very easy to get used to. Im used to boarding but i thought using the remote would have more of a learning curve, it was actually very simple.

3. Boosted say the dual+ is 2000W. Turns out that is a lot :smile:. I was only testing in a car park but i was actually surprised by how much torque it had. I was using the higher power modes and I did manage to get to full acceleration and full breaking a few times but i was probably going harder than i would expect to in daily use. had no issues with the belts slowing me down when i wanted them to. The thing that I was not expecting was how smooth and consistent the acceleration was. It seems to just keep accelerating when i kept my thumb forward. I definitely backed out before i felt like i had reached the end of what it had to give.

Unfortunately i did not get a chance to see how well it deals with me and hills. I think we might go and try this out in the future as i feel like i accelerated faster than i would going down a hill with gravity. This make me think it would get me back up the same hill. Not sure if the breaking is as powerful as the acceleration so would i get sufficient breaking to come back down the hill? i think were going to try and find out at a later date, i may try and video this if possible.

My take away from this:

• If you live in a flat area 2000W dual drive is probably enough for a beginner user of any weight.
  • Boosted board deck is not suitable for large riders. You would need to either swap deck or reinforce some how. Dont know how the rest of the hardware would hold up to extended use but it looked good quality.
  • I was concerned about using a normal belt gear ratio and had been looking at how i could achieve a higher ratio . . . with a 6374 i don’t think this will be necessary. With a dual 6374 you would definitely not need anything higher than a standard ratio.
  • IM HOOKED, GOTTA GET MY BOARD FINISHED
2 Likes

Thx @mmaner @Brianr058 - @mmaner I’m more demogorgan than demigod :slight_smile:

@ducktaperules happy to chat with you if you like! There are large guys riding my decks with no issues I’m aware of.

2 Likes

UPDATE:

I ended up buying a Trampa Ultimate Street Carver (thanks @Cobber). I went for the 16 ply deck with titanium axles and king pins. I also ended up also buying the 13/37 pulley set, belt and motor mount from trampa. It arrived yesterday. All fits together great and looks awsome.

Its Fucking Solid. Turns super easy and has a little flex but feels indestructible. I dont think i could ever break it and i feel like i could really throw it about without worrying about damaging it. I will try and get a video at some point showing the flex with all my weight for those who are curious.

I have temporary mounted the FOXBOX and some lipo’s on top for testing.

Only running at 8s but its working great so far. Cant wait to get some bigger battery’s and give it a real test :slight_smile:

Just need to work out some kind of enclosure for it all now.

5 Likes

I’m about 250 with back pack and gear. I went with the Evolve CGT because that was the only deck i felt safe on with the wide leg stance and the stiff deck. the electronics are…well I plan to swap out all the electronics but I’m keeping the deck so now I’m looking at ways to fit a 12s7p battery on my deck with 6374s for the torque as well.