[Help] ESCs and Batteries for Enertion's 190kv R-Spec Motor

Yeah, that’s what I was planning on doing. I saw the updated page on Enertion and figured that was the best bet. I’ll just ask someone to spot me for now so that I’m not too far in the order list.

Thanks for the Windows BLDC tip! I would’ve been find dual booting Linux, but it would mess with my boot manager and I’d have to reboot just to reconfigure.

I’ll post some questions if I have any once I get the VESC.

One word of caution on the ported BLDC tools. They do a pretty good job getting the new tool out when new firmware is released from Vedder, but there is some delay.

I’m a noob when it comes to STM32 and embedded microelectronics like this. I tried to upgrade FW on one VESC from 1.02 to 1.10 (two different BLDC tools - one supported 1.02, other supported 1.10 in windows) FUBAR’d the VESC as it updated the firmware to about 96% and then hung. After 15min i reset it and tried to connect w/ newer 1.10 windows ported BLDC. Dead.

So i ended up installing Linux anyway - connected the STM32 discovery board and updated the firmware to latest 1.12 (did not see the windows BLDC that supports this new FW, but need to re-check). I’d get a STLink v2 at least to have just in case. Maybe run VMWare workstation with Linux as a backup, or Virtualbox (free) instead of VMWare $. luckily i had an old LT to install on and it’s working perfect for this. I’ll leave it on the bench for surfing and such when not connected to VESC to configure something. One thing i’m not sure of is updating the BLDC in Linux… some more to learn obviously.

There are also Mac OSX ported versions in case that’s your preferred OS.

What’s your build list/plan?

Unless the Windows/MacOS builds are being updated as soon or as frequent as Ben updates the Linux Option…

They might not be as compatible.

I’d suggest just running a VM on your Windows or MAC for Linux.

Just know if you get a VESC, you’ll have to go through the process.

It’s well worth it though and you’ll learn a thing or two…

Obviously, for the people who want it instant this wouldn’t be a great idea but for the tinkerers… The VESC is a good idea.

With all that said, it would benefit me most to install Linux, right? Dual booting Linux isn’t much of an issue since I can just do it on my laptop. I like messing with electronics, but this kind of stuff is way out of my range of knowledge. Of course, I’ll be learning a lot along the way.

Aside from the obvious parts, I have: Enertion’s 190kv Motor - http://www.enertionboards.com/electric-skateboard-parts/190kv-electric-skateboard-motor/ The wiiceiver (though this may now be redundant). Then I’ll be getting these batteries - 2x http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9184__Turnigy_5000mAh_3S_20C_Lipo_Pack.html

You should go 12S higher voltage but just a suggestion. You don’t need the Wiiceiver if you have the VESC as it’s built in.

but it does require you to wire it direct to the VESC that way. I’ve been using the wiiceiver from Torque/DIYes with my VESC for the plug and play simplicity.

I just getting these batteries for now, because of cost constraints. After I save more money, I’ll get something better and use these old ones as a backup for longer runs or give them to my brother when he builds his board.